MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: [split] MyBB 1.9 Development
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2020-06-12, 11:41 AM)itsmeJAY Wrote: [ -> ]MyBB 2.0 was announced in 2017 or 2018.  Meanwhile more than 2 years have passed and nothing or only very slowly happens.

I have already given up hope and will leave the community at the end of the year if there is no clear statement from the team.  I will then turn to any community that is a bit more active and doesn't deliberately eggplant with its members.
I already been practicing with phpBB because I just don't see any future left in MyBB. Honestly the hardest part of phpBB to me is the theme system which I have very little knowledge with coding or designing, etc but I am able to figure it out on my own. 

It is responsive out of the box, it is statistically more secure, it has important features out of the box like Alerts/Notifications built in. 

I like how some good plugins on phpBB are actually actively developed by phpBB so you know you don't have to worry about compatibility issues, it seems like every other release of MyBB some good plugins break and they just aren't actively developed anymore.

MyBB is an amazing forum software don't get me wrong, but the project itself is just dying over the years.

I hope they get 1.9 going very soon because if not I fear it will be the end of MyBB. I personally cannot see myself launching a forum on 1.8 when there is much better options out there.

I know we will hear the same old response MyBB is a volunteer project and they work on there own time. Well so is other forum software which is way ahead of MyBB now.
Stop the pointless negativity plz. Mybb is much better than either phpbb or smf. Looks better, feels better, handles better, has much better dev team, much better plugins, good luck getting something like newpoints on phpbb., takes 3 minutes to install a responsive theme like bootbb that looks 40000 times better than phpbb's out of the box one. I'm very happy with my mybb forum and its plugins, also look at Justin's new responsive demo, phpbb won't come close to those looks in 3000 years, look at the framework they're gonna use for 1.9, look at the new editor options they're considering, MyBB is a much more well thought out project than other free solutions so thank you very much i'm very happy with it and waiting patiently for updates.
i'm happy with mybb
i've used phpbb2 before and that was not a pleasant experience
not sure how it is now though
(2020-06-14, 03:54 PM)8guawong Wrote: [ -> ]i'm happy with mybb

It is not only a question of whether Mybb is user-friendly.  There is no question that Mybb is. 

For some people, the point is that Mybb is no longer up to date.    Especially for developers it is important that Mybb is finally updated to 1.9.  In addition, the community will be put off with statements since 2017.  This is not okay.

I am a big Mybb fan and develop plugins.  But even I have been waiting for more than a year now.
(2020-06-14, 03:54 PM)8guawong Wrote: [ -> ]i'm happy with mybb
I don't have experience with phpBB 2 as I never used it. 

But phpBB 3.3.0 coming from a person without any real coding experience the only thing that is not as good of an experience is the theme system. MyBB themes are easier to modify there is no arguing against that. But it is still not hard to do it on phpBB.

But as for the overall experience such as settings, editing forums, etc it is not any harder then MyBB it is just slightly different approach.