MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MyConversations: a conversation plugin for MyBB
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Thanks - have responded to your email. AdBlock seems a plausible candidate, but I'm sure we'll ferret it out whatever it is.

For those following along: we didn't end up working out what the problem was (it wasn't AdBlock), but in the end Nicolas seemed to think it had something to do with his home network, which also gave him trouble downloading from another developer's website - when he tried downloading via 4G on his phone instead, the download succeeded, so he now has his file.

[Edit of 2021-09-05] A belated update on this: when another purchaser had the same problem, I dug in and discovered that the cause was some custom anti-referrer-spam code that I'd had on my site for a long time. MyConversations purchasers were in some cases mistakenly being tagged as spammers, which blocked the download. Rather than trying to fix that very delicate code, I simply disabled it. No, you shouldn't now feel free to spam creativeandcritical.net with referrer spam. Yes, you should now feel confident that you will be able to download MyConversations after purchasing it.
MyConversations version 1.1.2 has just been released.

This is a minor bugfix release. No security issues are involved.

New features and fixes:
  • Bugfix: "MyBB Engine" and "Guest" were sometimes being shown in place of the correct participant names.
  • Bugfix: A couple of reversions of edits to core templates were sometimes failing on plugin deactivation (those template edits support the display of MyConversations "likes" in the postbit and postbit_classic templates).
  • Improved template caching (minor).
  • Minor improvements to the code supporting the ACP migration tools (nothing user-visible).
I got such a huge positive feedback from users (board with 200+ active users/day) when I installed this plugin... I recommend it, adds a missing functionalities into default MyBB PM system.
Pre-release #3 of MyConversations version 1.2.0 is currently being live-tested on Psience Quest and the demo creativeandcritical.net forums, where you can try out the new features. There are quite a few, but the main ones are:
  • A search feature.
  • A "mark all read" feature.
Here are a couple of screenshots of the search feature:
[attachment=44029][attachment=44030]
Some questions:

What does the migration tool do? Does MyConversations create a conversation from existing PMs and retain the old PMs?
If there is a usergroup-level limit on PMs, does this affect MyConversations? And how?
If I purchased a single license, and intend to deploy it on a testbed forum, can the license be transferred later to the production forum?
(2021-04-19, 05:32 PM)HLFadmin Wrote: [ -> ]Some questions:

What does the migration tool do? Does MyConversations create a conversation from existing PMs and retain the old PMs?

Yes, exactly. It creates a MyConversations conversation from each exchange of PMs that have the same subject (taking into account a preceding "Re: ") and set of participants, and then for each PM in that conversation (really, a set of PMs themselves, since a separate copy of each PM is stored for each participant), it creates a MyConversations message which links back to the original (set of) PM(s), without altering anything about the original PM table.

From then on, when conversations are created, they are stored in the MyConversations conversation/message tables, and not the original PM table, so that at all times, the original PM table is left untouched by MyConversations. A reverse migration tool is provided though so that if you want to uninstall MyConversations, prior to doing so you can convert all those newer MyConversations conversations into core PMs - at which point the original PM table is affected, but only to add new data, never to remove/alter data.

(2021-04-19, 05:32 PM)HLFadmin Wrote: [ -> ]If there is a usergroup-level limit on PMs, does this affect MyConversations? And how?

No, it doesn't affect MyConversations, which currently does not limit conversation/message counts. The only current restrictions on conversations/messages that MyConversations supports are:
  • A global flood-prevention interval in seconds.
  • A per-usergroup "Can start conversations and conversation groups?" permission, defaulting to "Yes" for all groups except Banned and Awaiting Activation (and Guests, but they can never start conversations anyway).
  • A per-usergroup maximum conversation participants setting, defaulting to 15 for each usergroup.
(2021-04-19, 05:32 PM)HLFadmin Wrote: [ -> ]If I purchased a single license, and intend to deploy it on a testbed forum, can the license be transferred later to the production forum?

Yes. If the testbed forum is not made accessible to the general public, but is only for testing by you and your team/company, then you can even install MyConversations on both, as permitted by the EULA:

Quote:You may, however, additionally install the software on any local or development websites necessary for developing and testing your production website, so long as the software is used on those sites only for development and testing purposes, and not for end-user purposes, where end-users include but are not limited to local, internal, and corporate users.
Finally, if I install MyConversations, are there any out-of-domain references? Can all resources reside on my server?
Thinking specifically of font-awesome or the like.
(2021-04-20, 11:37 AM)HLFadmin Wrote: [ -> ]Finally, if I install MyConversations, are there any out-of-domain references?

No.

(2021-04-20, 11:37 AM)HLFadmin Wrote: [ -> ]Can all resources reside on my server?

Yes.

(2021-04-20, 11:37 AM)HLFadmin Wrote: [ -> ]Thinking specifically of font-awesome or the like.

Only libraries already included in MyBB's core and thus already resident on your server - e.g., SCEditor - are used. Font-awesome isn't used explicitly by MyConversations but I can't be 100% sure that it's not referenced indirectly (though I doubt it).
Installling on a test forum. Clean 1.8.26 install, no other plugins.
Error upon activation.
I will diagnose later, other fish frying.

[attachment=44050]

Database is utf8mb4. I think I just need to change the table creation specs.

STRICT_TRANS_TABLES enabled.
https://sql-info.de/mysql/notes/gotchas/...value.html

Yikes, still more after disabling STRICT_TRANS_TABLES.

[attachment=44051]

Current value for sql_mode on test forum.

mysql> SHOW GLOBAL VARIABLES LIKE 'sql_mode';
+---------------+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| Variable_name | Value |
+---------------+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| sql_mode | ONLY_FULL_GROUP_BY,NO_ZERO_IN_DATE,NO_ZERO_DATE,ERROR_FOR_DIVISION_BY_ZERO,NO_AUTO_CREATE_USER,NO_ENGINE_SUBSTITUTION |
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

Production forum has same, plus STRICT_TRANS_TABLES, and able to run 1.8.26 with minimum plugins, without known problems.

So, asking a general question: If I knock back some of the default sql_mode settings in order to make a plugin work, is this creating a potential for a database problem down the line?

I think my answer to continue evaluating the plugin is to drop some of the settings. But determine if improvements need to be made before going to production.
Ah. I'm sorry you've encountered those errors. That's an oversight on my part (a lack of awareness of the different settings possible). Oddly, on my dev machine, MariaDB does have STRICT_TRANS_TABLES enabled, and that CREATE TABLE command executes OK. Perhaps this is one of the differences between MariaDB and MySQL. In any case, I will duplicate your settings, and make whatever tweaks are necessary to try to ensure that no errors occur. Will be in touch privately.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5