MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MySQL Error 2006 and older versions of MyBB
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I understand that Error 2006 is ordinarily due to a server issue (eg configuration or requiring a restart), but would running an older version of MyBB (v.1.8.7) potentially cause MySQL Error 2006? My host recently upgraded Cloudlinux and cPanel, and discontinued support for PHP 7.1 and below. The upgrade coincides with my MyBB forum breaking in a number of ways, including Error 2006 and high resource usage (according to cPanel). PHP 7.2 is now the default version on the server - I understand MyBB 1.8.7 is not fully compatible with this PHP version. I wondered if that might be causing an issue with MySQL that would generate Error 2006? I thought I should check and clarify before returning to my host about the issue.
though updating your MyBB version is strongly recommended,
using older version of 1.8.x series should have no relation to error 2006
using php 7.2 is also not related to the error.

high resource usage depends on a number of factors. does your forum has
lot of posts & heavy traffic ? does it has large number of active plugins ?
(2020-07-09, 02:20 AM).m. Wrote: [ -> ]though updating your MyBB version is strongly recommended,
using older version of 1.8.x series should have no relation to error 2006
using php 7.2 is also not related to the error.

high resource usage depends on a number of factors. does your forum has
lot of posts & heavy traffic ? does it has large number of active plugins ?

Hi .m.,

Thanks for clarifying.

Yep, there's certainly the desire to update MyBB after this incident - but whilst Error 2006 remains an issue, I don't want to attempt an update that might cause an even bigger problem. When I've tried running maintenance tasks, Error 2006 usually occurs, so I assumed the update process might be risky.

Prior to this incident, I hadn't regularly checked on resource usage, although the seven days previous to the start of the incident showed no indication of faults, DB I/O etc. - although I guess there might not actually be any usage logged if the server itself was updated around the same time. This is the previous thirty days:

[Image: HxDgmsM.png]

The forum itself is a private, low-traffic forum with a regular set of around 10-15 members. There are 8,500 threads; 457,000 posts; 474 registered users (most of them are past members); and 13 attachments. Flatty is the default theme. There are some active plugins; I deactivated all except Rin Editor, but Error 2006 continued to sporadically occur.

There is one other issue that developed, but it seems separate to my MySQL question and rather than spend time trying to figure it out, I'd been hoping a MyBB update would 'magically' resolve it: the in-post reply button no longer works. Clicking it results in an Error 500. The MyBB error log records this:

Stack trace:
#0 {main}
  thrown in /home/jeco/public_html/XXXXXX/newreply.php on line 826
[09-Jul-2020 06:37:12 UTC] PHP Fatal error:  Uncaught Error: [] operator not supported for strings in /home/jeco/public_html/XXXXXX/newreply.php:826

I only mention it here to illustrate what else occurred alongside the MySQL error. If that can be resolved, I can confidently update the forum and hopefully fix the in-post reply issue.
SQL error 2006 : from the above info, looks like it is the server problem. host should be able to fix

error related to newreply.php : see this reply
(2020-07-09, 07:13 AM).m. Wrote: [ -> ]SQL error 2006 : from the above info, looks like it is the server problem. host should be able to fix

error related to newreply.php : see this reply

Thanks - I'll follow up the MySQL issue again with the host and see what they say. Their last response to me was to offer to move my account to a server with older PHP versions, but that doesn't sound like it's relevant (and won't help me with wanting to update MyBB anyway).

Re the 'newreply.php' error - I had seen that post when I tried troubleshooting the issue by myself. I somehow ended up misunderstanding something about it, which took me the long way around fixing it... But it eventually worked! I don't understand why it broke in the first instance, though  Huh

Thanks for your help, .m.  Big Grin