MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Web Hosting & VPS Hosting
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Dear Community,

If we want to offer Free Cpanel Linux Web Hosting & VPS Servers where would we post this information?

Regards
Dex
Free hosting? In Australia? You're having a laugh!

You'd post that in Requests/Services/Jobs, for what it's worth
Hi there,

Our Locations are

LA United States
Amsterdam NL
Kansas City United States

We do not offer Australia Hosting at this point of time.
(2020-07-17, 05:12 AM)SharkHost Wrote: [ -> ]We do not offer Australia Hosting at this point of time.

You have a .au domain name. I note that, after running a DiG on your domain name that this is the case, so thanks for confirming that. I'd argue, as an Australian, that using a .com.au domain to offer your hosting outside of Australia is the smallest bit misleading and deceptive under section 18 of the Australian Consumer Law. But, you know, you do you.

How's South Brisbane?
Hi there,

South Brisbane is pretty good thank you,

We do have Australia servers but we do not offer free hosting on them,

Also its not iilegal to run a Hosting company in australia and not provide AU Servers lol
(2020-07-17, 05:20 AM)SharkHost Wrote: [ -> ]Also its not iilegal to run a Hosting company in australia and not provide AU Servers lol

It is, however, illegal to make misleading claims.

Ostensibly, you aren't yet, because you don't have a website. But it's something to consider when you do.

Again, as you are in a business, you need to be on the right side of the Competition and Consumer Act, 2010 (the Australian Consumer Law). Whilst it is not illegal to have a business based here and to have servers in the States, I would just like to impress upon you the importance of noting your main domain name implies your residence and therefore your hosting to be in Australia. You will need to explicitly state where your hosting is (on your website) to counteract this.

Best of luck with it.
(2020-07-17, 05:24 AM)s3_gunzel Wrote: [ -> ]
(2020-07-17, 05:20 AM)SharkHost Wrote: [ -> ]Also its not iilegal to run a Hosting company in australia and not provide AU Servers lol

It is, however, illegal to make misleading claims.

Ostensibly, you aren't yet, because you don't have a website. But it's something to consider when you do.

Again, as you are in a business, you need to be on the right side of the Competition and Consumer Act, 2010 (the Australian Consumer Law). Whilst it is not illegal to have a business based here and to have servers in the States, I would just like to impress upon you the importance of noting your main domain name implies your residence and therefore your hosting to be in Australia. You will need to explicitly state where your hosting is (on your website) to counteract this.

Best of luck with it.

great point here
Hi,

(2020-07-17, 05:24 AM)s3_gunzel Wrote: [ -> ](...) your main domain name implies your residence and therefore your hosting to be in Australia. You will need to explicitly state where your hosting is (on your website) to counteract this.

If we take a look at the Eligibility abd Allocation Rules for com.au:
Quote:1.  To be eligible for a domain name in the com.au 2LD, registrants must be:
a)    an Australian registered company; or
b)    trading under a registered business name in any Australian State or Territory; or
c)     an Australian partnership or sole trader; or
d)    a foreign company licensed to trade in Australia; or
e)     an owner of an Australian Registered Trade Mark; or
f)      an applicant for an Australian Registered Trade Mark; or
g)    an association incorporated in any Australian State or Territory; or
h)    an Australian commercial statutory body.
https://www.auda.org.au/policies/index-of-published-policies/2012/2012-04/

These rules din't imply you have your hosting in Australia, your company? maybe (look d point), but your servers?

Maybe privacy regulations have a word to say about international data transfers to those servers in other countries, of course, but I don't think you could imply where the servers are with just a .com.au domain.

And now if you don't mind I'll keep my .tk domains even I'm far far away from New Zealand  Wink
(2020-09-01, 08:39 PM)NoRules Wrote: [ -> ]These rules din't imply you have your hosting in Australia, your company? maybe (look d point), but your servers?

I’ll come back to my point re s.18 of the Australian Consumer Law, which, as a business in Australia, the OP is bound to. And I’ll again reiterate that unless it is explicitly stated that the web hosting is not in Australia, it would be implied to be so and would be misleading and deceptive conduct under s.18 of the Competition and Consumer Act, 2010.

It is not a stretch to assume a company in Australia would be hosting their clients information in Australia - it is even less a stretch to assume that they would want a low-latency for their clients.
Hi again,

yes, the bussiness is bound to the regulation, BUT what are they offering?

Just "hosting" & "VPS servers". They never talked about the location of the servers. And as I said, just because the offer comes from a .com.au domain, you can't be upset if the server it's not in Australia, it's like many of the things you buy in your day a day are not crafted/done in Australia, and you're buying them from Australian's bussiness....

Of course the latency part and the data protection is other thing that the person who hires the server must know or ask, but as I said, it's other topic.
Pages: 1 2