MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Run mybb inside Virtualbox (For 4000-5000 user ++ ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
hi, its me again Like you know i find How To Transfert mydatabase and all i have test is not working .. maybe is my config maybe i made an error but..

i have think about one Idea if my Host Computer with 8 go ram i install virtualbox and inside virtualbox i install Ubuntu 18.04 (x64 bit ) the same version inside that Virtualbox ubuntu i install nginx , Mysql mariadb ..

and i host My website there do you think All working ?
For A biggest Server like + 5000 user for the moment i dont have 1 user but i want to make A good Board forum and if the host computer is A good computer powerful with 8 go ram ...

normaly all working ?

after if i want to transfert the database (forum ) i just Copy the virtualbox i export to another virtualbox in ubuntu 18.04 same config and Normaly is Suposed To working ?

The only problems is the 10-11 Go is will take to Download and Upload ..

Because the virtual machine take 10 go for ubuntu ... is maybe the Default install . !
At the outset, this is an awful idea.

Virtualbox is not designed for this workload; it’s designed for a stopgap when you absolutely need to run a virtual machine.

Many residential internet connections would not be able to support 5000 concurrent connections either.

You’d be better off just buying a $5/mo VPS.
(2020-07-17, 10:38 AM)s3_gunzel Wrote: [ -> ]At the outset, this is an awful idea.

Virtualbox is not designed for this workload; it’s designed for a stopgap when you absolutely need to run a virtual machine.

Many residential internet connections would not be able to support 5000 concurrent connections either.

You’d be better off just buying a $5/mo VPS.

yess i will buy a dedicated vps server 1 gbs unmetered for that but i would like to know Virtual box Is working or not For host mybb with a Lot of user like 5000 in the same time ?

why Virtual box Because probably i can use a Vpn to protect the server ?
but probably the vpn Max speed are 100 mbits and For upload i dont know .. is another problems maybe is better to just secure the server inside the vps

and Why virtualbox is because i can probably Copy like explained more easy the Virualmachine and export to re use with the Database inside ..
If you’re buying a dedicated server, at that point you use the command line and something like Docker/VMWare ESXi. Proper, enterprise grade products.

You should not(!) use a consumer grade VPN for your server, nor should you have a desktop on your server.

Our network uses ESXi, we have a pfSense server as our gateway, and our own VPN.

Edited, 0957 AEST
So over the course of the last 8 or so hours I’ve received a number of PMs from the original poster of this thread who - it’s apparent - has no clue at all about what he’s doing.

Let’s go into some technical detail:

You’re, in effect, proposing to purchase a VPS server (dedicated is a buzzword to make it seem better than it is, you’re on a virtual machine already) - and you’re planning to apt install the ubuntu desktop to run Virtualbox and a (Consumer) VPN. You’re planning to waste a bunch of resources on this project because you think it’s the best way to go. It’s not.

At this point, I’ll reiterate what I said to you: You should not be running a desktop operating system on a server, under any circumstance. Unless you absolutely must. There are some Windows applications that require a desktop for some stupid reason, for example. On Linux, that necessity drops to zero. You should not run a desktop on a linux server, at all.

Now: My advice is pretty straight forward. You’ve got two choices. You can run Ubuntu Server (with no desktop), and install Docker, and use that. Or you can run it all on bare-metal. If you do choose to use UFW, you should only have port 80 and port 443 open to the world, and port 22 open to your IP (or IP range). Either option should allow you to run 5000 users, but you need to make sure your server will allow that first. Some places get narky when you use lots of resources, which is why I opt for a server I own.