MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: [split] Upgrading to 1.8.23 from 1.8.22
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello all:

I have version 1.8.21, and it complains that I need to update to 1.8.23.  I WISH that 2 things would change about the way that the package is maintained and configured.

1. First, PLEASE get rid of the "upload directory" in the archive.  It is just a directory that we have to download with the zipfile, and we have to MANUALLY UPLOAD all the files by using "select all," and copy using filezilla.  If you have to install this on a linux box, this is JUST an extra step, and I have to RIP the upload directory out anyway.

2.  PLEASE make an Upgrader that will detect the VERSION I am running, and then UPGRADES to the one we need.  I see the upgrade notice in the control panel, but I have to play around downloading the whole archive, and I cant upgrade to 1.8.23 - Keeps telling me that there is an error - so I have WIPE the the ENTIRE forum out, restore it to September 2019, and it WORKS.

What I find is that the database is RIGHT, the user and password are RIGHT, but it acts like a BRAND new forum, and will NOT use the information in the current sql file for the restored forum.  I don't know what to do, and I WONT UPGRADE EVER AGAIN if I cannot figure out WHY I have a SQL file that I restored, and it works on the old version, but does NOT on the new version.

Can someone please assist me?  I have the SQL file, the 1.8.23 archive file and I know how to backup and restore the SQL file and it works GOOD, but 1.8.23 is TRASH if I have to stay at 1.8.21 - something changed:  Not sure what.......

I await your response, ladies and gents. I'm STUMPED Sad

Brian
Hi Brian,

I don't completely understand the issue that you seem to be facing. Can you confirm what the error message is that you seem to be getting when trying to upgrade to 1.8.23? It might be worthwhile installing your forum again on a seperate database but the data reimported from your current install so we can play about with it without affecting your users. Also, can you confirm if you originally when you joined MyBB used the Merge System?
(2020-07-23, 10:38 PM)Ben Wrote: [ -> ]Hi Brian,

I don't completely understand the issue that you seem to be facing. Can you confirm what the error message is that you seem to be getting when trying to upgrade to 1.8.23? It might be worthwhile installing your forum again on a seperate database but the data reimported from your current install so we can play about with it without affecting your users. Also, can you confirm if you originally when you joined MyBB used the Merge System?

ben:

Thank you for responding:  I will give you my current status, and tomorrow, will be able to reinstall and see if you may be able to help me with this.

The problem I have is twofold.

ONE:  When I try to download the 1.8.23 files, as a FULL install, and I then UPZIP the upload/ directory, and then I try to REPLACE the files by dragging and dropping them in my /var/www/html/board   Directory, it causes an error.  I believe the error is that you CANNOT drag and drop to replace 1.8.21 files by overwriting them with 1.8.23 files.   It looks like I simply CANNOT UPGRADE the files, as the FULL install errors out when doing this. 

If I try to do a full install by DELETING everything out of the /board/ directory,  and then putting in the 1.8.23 files. then run the install, I CANNOT GET the system to use my SQL file that has my database for the install.  It asks for the db username. password, and all the credentials it needs, but then when complete, it asks me to remove the install directory (I just do 'nano lock", and create and save the file at the end when it says to)  Then, I go to my /board/ directory on my host, which I control and own, and it brings up a BLANK forum (assumes that all permissions are right)

THERE IS ABSOLUTELY ZERO DATA FROM MY FORUM AFTER TRYING TO UPGRADE which leads me to the second problem:

WHY can't we "Check for Updates", and seeing that, download an UPDATER which will upgrade the version without having to DESTROY a forum, simply because mybb is telling me I am a couple points behind:  Could something be done, so that an upgrade could be done, similar to WordPress, where it is downloaded, upgraded, and launched without having to wipe OUT the ENTIRE directory?  The updater could also update the databases if necessary.

TWO:  I've tried to install this version, SEVERAL TIMES, and I am not sure if there is a problem, as I don't really relish the fact that I have to screw around restoring databases simply because the installer and the config files/settings file from the prior install need to be recreated and then repermissioned.  There HAS to be a better way!  I don't think the SQL file is the problem (meaning I don't think the SQL file is corrupted), but it seems like something is BORKING the install, and I believe I have followed all inststructions!

Right Now: My forum works: tomorrow, I will attempt again, and will post here the screenshots as I attempt a Full install.  I probably have something going on, but I've updated before, and had no trouble, but This one has me stumped.

Next Steps?

Brian
(2020-07-23, 10:07 PM)baker7 Wrote: [ -> ]1. First, PLEASE get rid of the "upload directory" in the archive.  It is just a directory that we have to download with the zipfile, and we have to MANUALLY UPLOAD all the files by using "select all," and copy using filezilla.  If you have to install this on a linux box, this is JUST an extra step, and I have to RIP the upload directory out anyway.

That's the plan for the 1.9.x series.

Quote:When I try to download the 1.8.23 files, as a FULL install, and I then UPZIP the upload/ directory, and then I try to REPLACE the files by dragging and dropping them in my /var/www/html/board   Directory, it causes an error. [/b][/u] I believe the error is that you CANNOT drag and drop to replace 1.8.21 files by overwriting them with 1.8.23 files.

Can you post the full error message?

See also: https://docs.mybb.com/1.8/install/upgrade/
(2020-07-24, 08:11 PM)Devilshakerz Wrote: [ -> ]
(2020-07-23, 10:07 PM)baker7 Wrote: [ -> ]1. First, PLEASE get rid of the "upload directory" in the archive.  It is just a directory that we have to download with the zipfile, and we have to MANUALLY UPLOAD all the files by using "select all," and copy using filezilla.  If you have to install this on a linux box, this is JUST an extra step, and I have to RIP the upload directory out anyway.

That's the plan for the 1.9.x series.

Quote:When I try to download the 1.8.23 files, as a FULL install, and I then UPZIP the upload/ directory, and then I try to REPLACE the files by dragging and dropping them in my /var/www/html/board   Directory, it causes an error. [/b][/u] I believe the error is that you CANNOT drag and drop to replace 1.8.21 files by overwriting them with 1.8.23 files.

Can you post the full error message?

See also: https://docs.mybb.com/1.8/install/upgrade/

Good Evening:

tomorrow, I will attempt again, and will post here the screenshots as I attempt a Full install.  I probably have something going on, but I've updated before, and had no trouble, but This one has me stumped.

I HAVE been following the instructions at that location, or I would NOT know I need to chmod 666 and chmod 777 a list of directories that are there: This is saved for use later, but I don't know why an upgrade would throw an error, I should have written it down yesterday........

Brian
@Devilshakerz @ben

I was able to install the mybb upgrade. What seemed to be the issue was that I was UNAWARE that saving the config.php and the settings.php and the most current database backup that I had was helpful in fixing the problem. Once I commended Version 1.8.21 to backup:

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 203444 Jul 27 16:19 backup__20190701_173848_qOL079li46TCKXeW.sql.gz

Then, I backed up the config.php, the settings.php, and then used chmod 666 and chmod 777 to the suggested files and directories, I was able to go to my site like this:

https://buddy-baker.us/board/install

and with the database backup in position, and the php files config and settings.php in there, the installer did the upgrade OK Wink

I am not sure if you still wanna see the proof that it works: but if you go to https://buddy-baker.us/board/ it should at least tell you that my board is ONLINE but closed Smile

Thanks for the suggestions: I just decided to take the backup of the database from mybb RATHER than to mess with PHPMyAdmin - Easier that way, then the config and settings files were just copied to a backup directory on the server, and moved back Wink

Thanks again Smile

Brian