MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: custom instalation
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I would like to install mybb but on 2 hosts because my database is very big and I can't move it to a server with cpanel I have a dedicated server where I have the forum hosted and I would like to use cpanel, to buy another host where to have cpanel and use the database on the dedicated server
solutions what i think
config.php setings at localhost write server and database name and pass and will work.

so 2 hosting just a forum.
one hosting for database, another hosting for files
i want to ask if need to make others changes... thanks
Welcome to MyBB Community.

remote database can be used. database server hostname is required (localhost cannot be used).
as you said, config.php file in inc folder of MyBB files server contains database details.

[MyBB: database configuration image] | [MyBB: installation guidance]

however, if you have SSH access at both servers then
you should be able to transfer large database through SCP
Remember that you'll have to configure MySQL to allow remote connection, this is not the default setting.
And you'll have to create a MySQL user authorized from the remote host.
(2020-07-26, 06:50 AM)Crazycat Wrote: [ -> ]Remember that you'll have to configure MySQL to allow remote connection, this is not the default setting.
And you'll have to create a MySQL user authorized from the remote host.

How can i do it?
To allow external connections, check your /etc/mysql/my.cnf or /etc/mysql/mariadb.conf.d/50-server.cnf and comment the bind-address line.
Restart MySQL
Then, create your user, using phpmyadmin or the mysql console, and set his host with the IP of your MyBB server.
(2020-07-26, 03:04 AM).m. Wrote: [ -> ]Welcome to MyBB Community.

remote database can be used. database server hostname is required (localhost cannot be used).
as you said, config.php file in inc folder of MyBB  files server contains database details.

[MyBB: database configuration image] | [MyBB: installation guidance]

however, if you have SSH access at both servers then
you should be able to transfer large database through SCP

Hi, I am stuck with the setting up of mybb. My mybbserver ip address is 192.168.0.2 and 192.168.0.1 for the database server. I performed some commands on mybbserver to reach the database server. "nc -zv 192.168.0.1 3306" comes out positive and shows theres a connection. "mysql -u mybbuser -h 192.168.0.1 -p" also works and shows that i can connect from mybbserver to database.

I had also binded the ip address on mybbserver as the databases address. Shut down all firewalls for simplicity. created a database on database server and "GRANT ALL ON mybbremote.* TO [email protected] IDENTIFIED BY 'PASSWORD' ".

Just wanted to ask what should be in the Database Server Hostname field in the mybb installation wizard. First time doing 3 tiered architecture for a project and do not know how remote database should be connected.

Thank you for your help in advance!!   Big Grin