MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Mail not working
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hoping someone can solve this....

I've got a domain and shared hosting with 123-reg.co.uk.  

I've installed Mybb with default settings in cPanel and made a temporary account to test mail but it's not working.

PHP Mail doesn't work and gives no errors in the log 

SMTP Mail doesn't work and gives this error:
Unable to connect to the mail server with the given details. Reason: 111: Connection refused

I get the same error with different email accounts.

I have installed other forums (phpbb, vanilla) within the same hosting to test mail and they work fine (PHP & SMTP)

I really don't want to use another forum as I prefer Mybb but need to have mail working.

Any help appreciated.
Did you configure SMTP correctly? Hostname, port and encryption (SSL/TLS).
(2020-07-26, 04:25 PM)noyle Wrote: [ -> ]Did you configure SMTP correctly? Hostname, port and encryption (SSL/TLS).

I tried 3 different SMTP accounts, double checking all inputs but still wouldn't work.

The current mail setting is on PHP

I have just used mass mail to send an email to the primary email from the hosting and it worked.

I then tried mass mail to a gmail address but it took around 15 mins to send

So it appears mail is working, but registration emails are not working.
You have a shared hosting. So it could have limitations (shared hosting were often use for spamming/fishing) and/or can be banned/blocked by mail providers.
You may try to ask 123-reg if there are limitations with your hosting or if you have to use specific smtp
(2020-07-26, 05:56 PM)Crazycat Wrote: [ -> ]You have a shared hosting. So it could have limitations (shared hosting were often use for spamming/fishing) and/or can be banned/blocked by mail providers.
You may try to ask 123-reg if there are limitations with your hosting or if you have to use specific smtp

This doesn't explain why the registration emails won't go through, but mass emails do, it seems more like an issue with Mybb itself.
I will get on to 123-reg though, just in case.

123-reg are agreeing with me that it must be an issue with Mybb, as some emails work, some don't.

There's obviously something wrong with the registration and password reset system.
(2020-07-26, 06:03 PM)mikeyb5753 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2020-07-26, 05:56 PM)Crazycat Wrote: [ -> ]You have a shared hosting. So it could have limitations (shared hosting were often use for spamming/fishing) and/or can be banned/blocked by mail providers.

This doesn't explain why the registration emails won't go through, but mass emails do, it seems more like an issue with Mybb itself.
I will get on to 123-reg though, just in case.

123-reg are agreeing with me that it must be an issue with Mybb, as some emails work, some don't.

There's obviously something wrong with the registration and password reset system.
Did you ever get this resolved, I've got exactly the same issue as yourself, shared hosting with 123-reg.
I've created a testmail.php file and ran that and email comes through everytime so my shared hosting does send mail through PHP but I can't get anything through from myBB.

I can't go live with my my forum until I've got this cracked which is a bit frustrating.

Any help would be massively appreciated.

Thanks,

Arthur