MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Replacing files and choosing upgrade version in installation
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm trying to upgrade my forum, but I'm unclear about two aspects of the procedure:

Replacing files
Step 1 of the upgrade documentation says to overwrite all of the current installation files with all of the contents of/Upload. Doing this will remove the current plugins, themes and custom content (e.g. avatars, flags, smilies etc. that have been added). This doesn't make sense to me because it will mean having to manually install (and/or configure) these items again after upgrading, but it's what will happen if I follow the first step of the documentation - I just want to check that this is correct!

Selecting the installed version to upgrade from
When I've replaced the existing directory contents with the Upload directory contents, I've opened /install in the browser., as Step 2.1 instructs. Step 3 of the documentation says I should see a dropdown asking me to select the version being upgraded from, but I can't see this. The first page I see is 'Welcome':

[Image: rocBfn4.png]
I've continued as far as Table Creation and found that the process just overwrites the existing database - which definitely seemed like something that shouldn't be happening during an upgrade.

When should I see this dropdown and how do I ensure I can see it?

Managed to resolve both (resolving the first issue resolved the second). I tried to merging and replacing files and directories, instead of overwriting them, just to see what happens. This resulted in me seeing the dropdown box and I think might be what the upgrade documentation actually intends.
at some servers (eg. godaddy) if zip file is extracted at the server,
instead of overwriting existing files , entire folder gets replaced.

ftp client likefilezilla is recommended for uploading files at such servers.

ftp clent like filezilla should be configured in such a way that it
overwrites existing files only. i.e. it does not erase existing folders
Thanks, .m. - I've reproduced the forum on my local device so I can upgrade it there first (because of MySQL issues with my host), so I eventually figured out how to merge and replace local files and directories using rsync.
Just a comment: First what version are you upgrading from and to. Procedure is different for multi versions are just one. Secondly, one also has two different download files full and change files. The wizard you displayed is the full. This will created a new database and believe overwrite all your files, meaning clean install.