MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Setting up SMTP with Namecheap hosting? Anybody get this to work?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Has anybody been able to setup SMTP with MyBB using their Namecheap hosting? I created a new email account and input my details. However, I still get the "The SMTP server did not respond correctly to the AUTH LOGIN command" so not sure where this error is coming from.
I do forward emails from my Namecheap domain to GMail and use their SMTP free service.

However, I don't use the SMTP service of Namecheap. If you have 2FA enabled you might need to configure an application password to use instead of your account password.
(2020-09-29, 08:33 PM)OmarĀ G. Wrote: [ -> ]I do forward emails from my Namecheap domain to GMail and use their SMTP free service.

However, I don't use the SMTP service of Namecheap. If you have 2FA enabled you might need to configure an application password to use instead of your account password.

Could I ask how you set this up? In Namecheap cPanel, I have created an Email Account using my domain. How do I route this to Gmail, and then go about setting up Gmail's free SMTP service? What does your "Mail Settings" section look like in the MyBB admin panel (e.g. hostname, port, SSL or TLS?)
It is a verty straingforward setup frankly. You can take a look to my configuration in the attached images. Basically you do it in the following order:

1. First, setup domain mail redirects to your gmail account. This by itself will redirect all mail to your gmail account. You can confirm the redirect works by sending a mail to the address.
  2. Then, add these mail names as Send mail as under general configurations of your gmail account. A confirmation will be send for you to be able to use them, thus the order of the steps.
  3. Finally, update your MyBB mail settings to use your gmail account as a SMTP provider. Be aware that I do use 2FA in my google account so while my SMTP username is plainly my google account email, my SMTP password isn't the password I use to log in to my google account but rather a application password. More info in the following link.
    https://support.google.com/mail/answer/185833?hl=en

Also, search about google limitations, as there are some, I believe a max of 1000 emails per month, but I myself disable mail usage in my site and use it mainly for the sole purpose of registration, so it doesn't affect me.

For setting this through cPanel and not the domain panel I suppose the first step might vary but should be very similar as.

If I was using Namecheap hosting I'd preferably attempt the redirect as I described above myself and not from cPanel.