MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Re-installation of 1.8.24 board - check my process, please
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've had a look through the documents and cannot find a plain guide to reinstalling an existing board.

My board has shown this message for several days:

'MyBB has experienced an internal error and cannot continue'. There is no error code.

I cannot see anything in the logs that I can identify as a problem. My web host support spent an hour yesterday trying to rectify the problem but was unable to resolve it.

I thought I would try to fix the problem by running an upgrade -- uploading 1.8.24 again, and running the upgrade over the existing 1.8.24 installation -- but that script simply stalled.

So now I plan to run a clean install.

To that end, I have used the tools in cPanel to create individual backups for (1) the home directory, (2) the MySQL databases, and (3) the email forwarders and filters.

I plan to run the clean install script, and then use the cPanel tools to restore each of the three databases.

Will this work as I hope? Have I missed something? I have no coding skills.

Thanks in advance for your comments.
Don't think so.  Haven't used cpanel for over a year, and then only briefly.  The files you're interested in - where mybb is/was installed relative to your web server document root.  You want all those.  Restore overwriting what's there.  The other files in your home directory are probably not required, but every environment's different, so can't say for sure.

To restore an existing board from a recent backup, you'd restore the files used by mybb, then the database,  or vice versa.  Don't think it really matters sequence-wise - but you need both.  Assuming everything is the same on your host, that should put you right back where you were.  Expect you had backups before taking this on.

From memory, cpanel creates a 'drop tables if exist' mysql dump, so that should restore the database to the board backed up.  I use the command line, but cpanel scripts should work.  You can check the backup archive and confirm.  What you're looking for would be close to the beginning of the sql file.

If restoring a working, existing board, these are the only steps I'd expect to take from the mybb end.  As far as the broken upgrade goes, too many unknowns to hazard a guess.  I recently went from 1806 to 1822, then ultimately 1824 - but did the first jump to 1822 in stages.  But spent quite a bit of time planning and testing - including roll-back plans.  If all went south, I was ready.

If I was you, I'd wait for someone from mybb support to weigh-in with specific advice.  Devil is in the details on these sort of things.

Best of luck getting it all sorted,

cheers...
(2020-10-07, 12:10 PM)sansombre Wrote: [ -> ]My board has shown this message for several days:

'MyBB has experienced an internal error and cannot continue' with no error code.

I cannot see anything in the logs that I can identify as a problem. My web host support spent an yesterday hour trying to rectify the problem but was unable to resolve it.

Just a possibility:

I encountered the same situation recently after increasing via cPanel the PHP version for the domain of the MyBB board I help administer. There was literally no record of the specific error other than that message (nothing in any logs, just like you).

The problem turned out to be that the new PHP version didn't automatically load certain PHP modules which MyBB requires. Once I added to the relevant php.ini file the necessary lines to load those modules, MyBB was back up and running. Here are those lines, but note that some of them may be unnecessary as I had the same problem with MediaWiki on the same domain, so some of these modules are required only by MediaWiki and not by MyBB. Presumably the ones nearest the top are MyBB-specific, because I dealt with MyBB first. Also, some I added "just in case" or for custom MediaWiki extensions. Also note that if you're on a Windows rather than Linux/BSD server, then you'll want to replace the ".so" extension with a ".dll" extension.

This might not solve your problem but it's probably worth a try.

extension="mbstring.so"
extension="gd.so"
extension="simplexml.so"
extension="mysqlnd.so"
extension="mysqli.so"
extension="xml.so"
extension="ctype.so"
extension="fileinfo.so"
extension="json.so"
extension="iconv.so"
extension="dom.so"
extension="intl.so"
extension="curl.so"
extension="zip.so"
extension="imagick.so"
Thanks to those who responded here.

The process turned out to be simple enough, although I learned something in the process.

Using the cPanel backup tool, I downloaded as separate archives (1) a backup of the MySQL database, (2) a backup of the home directory structure, and (3) a backup of email forwarders and filters.

I reinstalled MyBB to overwrite the existing installation, and imported the database and other backups. But then I found I had the same 'internal error' problem I described in my OP. So I went throught the process a further two times, with the same result.

And then it occurred to me that importing a broken home directory was probably just re-importing the original problem. So I did one more clean install but without importing the directory backup, and all has worked well since.

I can't get the board logo to load, however, but I'll take that to a different thread.
got my answer, thanks for sharing it.