MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: how to change the board URL when unable to access it?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So i am currently awaiting my domain name to point to the server IP. On mybb settings i had the forums up and running fine wwith the IP address. So i decided to change the board url to the domain name in mybb settings. After that the forum looks odd like the CSS is not working. How can i change the board url in settings back to the IP address when i cannot access it through settings?

If i select ACP i get to an unable to connect page through the messed up site?

EDIT:
now the domain name is pointing to the corrent IP address, but mybb is still messed up because the board url has python-forum.io instead of 157.245.86.71. How can i revert this?

EDIT2:
I guess the domain name pointing to the ip address remedied this?
Edit the inc/settings.php file to correct the url in $settings['bburl'].
If you can access to the ACP, change also the BbUrl in the settings of the forum, and redo cache.
To answer your explicit question, you could simply edit inc/settings.php and change the value of $settings['bburl'] to your desired IP address, then, with the ACP again accessible, navigate to Home » Board Settings » Site Details and save the page so that the setting you'd just modified in the inc/settings.php cache file gets stored permanently in the database.

Prior to your edit, which I've just seen on previewing this post, I had written the following, which is now redundant, but which might help somebody else.

To suggest an alternative possibility that might be better:

On your local machine, edit your hosts file to add the IP address / domain name mapping in lieu of the external DNS mapping having taken effect. If your local machine is running a Linux/UNIX-based operating system (including, I think, macOS), this file is located at /etc/hosts - you will need to edit it with root privileges. If your local machine is running a Windows operating system, then it is located at C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts.

This would mean that only you on your local machine would be able to access your forum on its domain name until the DNS mapping takes effect, but it seems that that would be sufficient for you.

Dang. Beaten to the punch by that crazy bug-making cat.
thanks to both of you for the information