MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Transfering content from old to new forum
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi everybody,

I wanted to use a different web hosting company for my MYbb forum and DO A FRESH INSTALL of mybb.

say the old hosting is Z and new one is A.

at the moment the forum is hosted at www.z.com/bb

and i want to transfer it to www.a.com/bb (new domain)

How do I go about on this? ( not really a technical person but i am comfortable to learn new things)

Thank you.

1. also i want to transfer all the attachment as well, there are tons of attachment on the current forum.

2. the current forum also have some issue, (sometime when i post i get some error) which hopefully if possible i would like to install fresh new mybb there and just import every post and attachment only.
In a few steps:
1. Actual hosting
1.1. close your old forum to avoid new activity which will be loose
1.2. save your database
1.3. save your forum directory (and all it subdirectories)
2. Target hosting
2.1. Import your saved database in your new one
2.2. Upload your saved forum to the new one location
2.3. Edit inc/config.php and inc/settings.php to match your new DB conf and your new domain
2.4. Go to the new ACP and check the server settings to save them in DB
2.5. Test
(2020-10-13, 11:48 AM)Crazycat Wrote: [ -> ]In a few steps:
1. Actual hosting
1.1. close your old forum to avoid new activity which will be loose
1.2. save your database
1.3. save your forum directory (and all it subdirectories)
2. Target hosting
2.1. Import your saved database in your new one
2.2. Upload your saved forum to the new one location
2.3. Edit inc/config.php and inc/settings.php to match your new DB conf and your new domain
2.4. Go to the new ACP and check the server settings to save them in DB
2.5. Test
many thanks
how do upload the new database
The way @Crazycat recommends, is how I do it as well.  Do essentially the same thing several times a month refreshing my test board.  Regardless, I'd migrate to the new host with your existing board first.  Assuming that environment is compatible with your existing config.  Don't assume so - look into it.

This doesn't address 'fresh' install (seems such a Windows term - lol), but if you want to keep existing content, running an upgrade is the way I'd personally proceed.  Since what you have right now is unknown, things get a little foggy at this point.  Customisation's, plugins, current mybb version, and all the rest come into play.  Perhaps even php and extensions, database etc.  One thing for sure - you want to disable all plugins before any upgrade.  I've upgraded over top of a live plugin before and regretted it.

If the plugins made template css changes - and it's best to assume they have - you want to make yourself aware of what they are.  Plugin documentation should have that info.  The same with other customisation's you might have.  You'll have the option to revert templates to default on any upgrade, so make sure you look over the diff reports carefully, and know what you're looking for.

I've seen folks suggest ways to import a populated database into a new install.  Never tried it myself, so I'll leave that option to those who have - successfully.

cheers...
If you use MySQL and phpMyAdmin, you have several ways.

The simpliest, if your DB is not too heavy, is to go in your target DB with phpMyAdmin and choose the import process. If the file is too large, you'll have to upload it to your target server with any ftp client and uncompress it (to have a .sql file), then in phpMyAdmin select your DB and choose "SQL" tab.
The import process will be with the query: SOURCE /path/to/your/sqlbackup.sql

The better way is to have a shell access and use the following command: mysql -u youruser -p yourdb < sqlbackup.sql (change "youruser" and "yourdb" to match with your DB settings)
(2020-10-13, 01:18 PM)safiedin Wrote: [ -> ]many thanks
how do upload the new database

Install wamp or xamp server in your personal computer. And then upload your site in it. Ask questions if your run into problems.

This way you will able to get a hold on entire hosting change thing.

And seriously it's not much of a work. If you have a clean backup of your files and database then you just have to edit inc/settings.php and inc/config.php