MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Slew of questions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Well, I have three questions that I'll lump together.

What options do i have for site-wide announcements?

What options do I have to add text to the registration box? I want to encourage users to use "Firstname_Lastname". (I've tried modifying the "Username:" text and it has side effects).

Is there any way for a user or admin to change a username or does the user need to be deleted and re-created?

Thanks for putting up with my noob questions.
Hey Robert,

1. There is a section in the Moderator Control Panel that you can set either Global announcements that appear in all forums or Section announcements where it will appear it one forum only. If you want something to appear in the Index similar to we have at the top of the forum there is a number of plugins available to achieve this on the Extend site.

At line 15 in the template member_register you could add something like:
<div class="regmessage">
 Please register with your first and last name. <br/>
 </div>

Add the following CSS in your global.css file for the theme desired:
.regmessage {
 background: red;
 color: #fff;
 padding: 10px;
}

That will put a simple red bar at the top of the register page.

3. You can grant or restrict users access to change their username in the group setting. Administrators can always edit user accounts in the Admin Control Panel and manually update the name.

I have a plugin that may be of interest to you where administrators can force a user to change their name before continuing to browse the forum - https://community.mybb.com/mods.php?acti...w&pid=1390
As Ben mentioned previously, global announcements can show an announcement on every board of your forum above all other threads. I wrote a plugin that adds header banners as well, if this is what you're looking for. (There are actually several plugins that do this sort of thing, so you can check out the mod database and install the ones that work best for you Smile )