MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Shutting down my site
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello.

First of all, a hearty thank you to everyone who answered my questions or helped me in this past year. It is much appreciated.

I will be shutting down my site due to the lack of activity and time constraints. Should I follow any procedures to close down the website? Anything that I should do before I shut it down?

Thank you.
There isn't a formal procedure. Besides backing it up of course, and giving your members a heads up a couple weeks before is always nice. Gives them a chance to find alternative places to convene.

If the site still has some activity, have you considered if one of your senior members would be interested in taking it over? Sometimes allowing the community itself to go forward can be worthwhile. It's always nice to look back with some nostalgia some number of years later knowing "we made this". Smile
Hi Edward,

Sorry to hear that your thinking of shutting down your forum. Things certainely have slowed down in terms of forum activity recently. I would give your users notice as mentioned by Darth Apple and also offer someone the chance to take over the forum if possible.
(2020-11-19, 06:07 PM)Darth Apple Wrote: [ -> ]There isn't a formal procedure. Besides backing it up of course, and giving your members a heads up a couple weeks before is always nice. Gives them a chance to find alternative places to convene.

If the site still has some activity, have you considered if one of your senior members would be interested in taking it over? Sometimes allowing the community itself to go forward can be worthwhile. It's always nice to look back with some nostalgia some number of years later knowing "we made this". Smile

Thank you for your reply.

I told everyone a few weeks ago, and we have moved to another website that will allow us to do pretty much everything as before. We've also increased our numbers by a couple thousand percent.

I'll look into backing it up . . . (can I do this so I can access it on my computer, without a server?)

Thank you.
Yes, you can absolutely to a backup and keep it on your computer. If you are using cPanel that should have an inbuilt feature allowing you to do a full site backup which you can then download and store locally.
(2020-11-19, 07:05 PM)Ben Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, you can absolutely to a backup and keep it on your computer. If you are using cPanel that should have an inbuilt feature allowing you to do a full site backup which you can then download and store locally.

Thank you.

I backed up and downloaded it to my computer. Thank you for that info. But how to I look at that info offline? What do I open the file with?

Thanks again.
Downloading a full database dump and a copy of the files of the forums ist the first step to keep a backup of your forum.

To "run" the forum on your computer, you mandatory need to setup a full webserver environment locally. This includes installation of:
- Webserver (Apache for example)
- PHP libraries
- MySQL server or other supported database engine

A simple way to achive this environment is an XAMPP installation (that combines all packages needed).

[ExiTuS]