MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: 1.8.20 upgrade to 1.8.24
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ensure to upload all files to your webspace properly and also check permissions and ownerships.

If possible run ACP > Tools & Maintenance > File Verification.

[ExiTuS]
We are having an issue upgrading from 1.8.20 to 1.8.24. 

I renamed the htaccess.txt to .htaccess

I went through the FTP process, You are currently running MyBB 1.8.20 whilst the latest generally available release is MyBB 1.8.24 (1824).
I am new to MyBB and we are trying to update 1.8.20 to  1.8.24. 
MyBB Version:  1.8.20
PHP Version    7.3.23
SQL Engine    MySQLi 5.6.40
Server Load    0

404 - Not Found
The page you are trying to access does not exist.
If this error persists, please contact the website webmaster.

(2020-11-25, 10:59 PM)[ExiTuS] Wrote: [ -> ]Ensure to upload all files to your webspace properly and also check permissions and ownerships.

If possible run ACP > Tools & Maintenance > File Verification.

[ExiTuS]

Just ran it and File Verification:  No Problems Detected.

Thank you.
Stupid question, but have you uploaded the contents of the Upload folder to the root of your MyBB installation?  Not the folder and contents?  Should be simple to verify the path via ftp, web panel, or shell access if you have it.

I'd also leave renaming htaccess until after I've upgraded successfully - but that's a personal preference not based on anything much.  Except there's usually already one there you have to deal with.

cheers...
Thanks for the response. 

When I try to do an install to mybb and try to reach https:www.automatedvehiclelaw.com/install

404 - Not Found
  If you are the webmaster of this site make sure that:
    *You have uploaded correctly your files to the public_html directory which is the web-root of your account;
    *You have not misspelled the URL. Bear in mind that letters are case sensitive and no white spaces are recommended;
    *In case you have applied SEO - SEF URL rewriting rules, make sure you have re-named the htaccess.txt file to .htaccess. If there is already a non-empty .htaccess file read it and make sure the necessary rules are un-commented.

I believe this is what you are asking.
Is there an index.php file in your board's install/ directory?

If there is, temporarily rename the .htaccess file in your board's root directory to something else and retry.

Also, if there is a .htaccess file in the install/ directory, try also temporarily renaming that file to something else and then retrying.

If neither of those work, then check for any .htaccess files in all parent directories and temporarily rename them all and/or share their contents here.
Thank you for your Help. I did everything that you suggested and I am still not able to upgrade to 1.8.24

Here is what is in the htaccess.txt. I did rename it to .htaccess and still no success.

Options -MultiViews +FollowSymlinks -Indexes

#
# If mod_security is enabled, attempt to disable it.
# - Note, this will work on the majority of hosts but on
# MediaTemple, it is known to cause random Internal Server
# errors. For MediaTemple, please remove the block below
#
<IfModule mod_security.c>
# Turn off mod_security filtering.
SecFilterEngine Off

# The below probably isn't needed, but better safe than sorry.
SecFilterScanPOST Off
</IfModule>

#
# MyBB "search engine friendly" URL rewrites
# - Note, for these to work with MyBB please make sure you have
# the setting enabled in the Admin CP and you have this file
# named .htaccess
#
<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
RewriteEngine on
RewriteRule ^forum-([0-9]+)\.html$ forumdisplay.php?fid=$1 [L,QSA]
RewriteRule ^forum-([0-9]+)-page-([0-9]+)\.html$ forumdisplay.php?fid=$1&page=$2 [L,QSA]

RewriteRule ^thread-([0-9]+)\.html$ showthread.php?tid=$1 [L,QSA]
RewriteRule ^thread-([0-9]+)-page-([0-9]+)\.html$ showthread.php?tid=$1&page=$2 [L,QSA]
RewriteRule ^thread-([0-9]+)-lastpost\.html$ showthread.php?tid=$1&action=lastpost [L,QSA]
RewriteRule ^thread-([0-9]+)-nextnewest\.html$ showthread.php?tid=$1&action=nextnewest [L,QSA]
RewriteRule ^thread-([0-9]+)-nextoldest\.html$ showthread.php?tid=$1&action=nextoldest [L,QSA]
RewriteRule ^thread-([0-9]+)-newpost\.html$ showthread.php?tid=$1&action=newpost [L,QSA]
RewriteRule ^thread-([0-9]+)-post-([0-9]+)\.html$ showthread.php?tid=$1&pid=$2 [L,QSA]

RewriteRule ^post-([0-9]+)\.html$ showthread.php?pid=$1 [L,QSA]

RewriteRule ^announcement-([0-9]+)\.html$ announcements.php?aid=$1 [L,QSA]

RewriteRule ^user-([0-9]+)\.html$ member.php?action=profile&uid=$1 [L,QSA]

RewriteRule ^calendar-([0-9]+)\.html$ calendar.php?calendar=$1 [L,QSA]
RewriteRule ^calendar-([0-9]+)-year-([0-9]+)-month-([0-9]+)\.html$ calendar.php?calendar=$1&year=$2&month=$3 [L,QSA]
RewriteRule ^calendar-([0-9]+)-year-([0-9]+)-month-([0-9]+)-day-([0-9]+)\.html$ calendar.php?action=dayview&calendar=$1&year=$2&month=$3&day=$4 [L,QSA]
RewriteRule ^calendar-([0-9]+)-week-(n?[0-9]+)\.html$ calendar.php?action=weekview&calendar=$1&week=$2 [L,QSA]

RewriteRule ^event-([0-9]+)\.html$ calendar.php?action=event&eid=$1 [L,QSA]

<IfModule mod_env.c>
SetEnv SEO_SUPPORT 1
</IfModule>
</IfModule>

#
# If Apache is compiled with built in mod_deflade/GZIP support
# then GZIP Javascript, CSS, HTML and XML so they're sent to
# the client faster.
#
<IfModule mod_deflate.c>
AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/css text/html application/xhtml+xml text/xml application/xml text/plain text/x-component application/javascript application/x-javascript application/rss+xml application/atom+xml application/json application/manifest+json application/x-web-app-manifest+json application/vnd.ms-fontobject application/font-sfnt application/font-woff application/font-woff2 image/svg+xml image/x-icon
</IfModule>

# Note: You are able to choose a different name in the Admin CP. If you've done that you need to change it here too
<Files "error.log">
Order Deny,Allow
Deny from all
</Files>

Here is my htaccess.txt.  I did rename it to .htaccess and still didn't upgrade.

Options -MultiViews +FollowSymlinks -Indexes

#
# If mod_security is enabled, attempt to disable it.
# - Note, this will work on the majority of hosts but on
#  MediaTemple, it is known to cause random Internal Server
#  errors. For MediaTemple, please remove the block below
#
<IfModule mod_security.c>
# Turn off mod_security filtering.
SecFilterEngine Off

# The below probably isn't needed, but better safe than sorry.
SecFilterScanPOST Off
</IfModule>

#
# MyBB "search engine friendly" URL rewrites
# - Note, for these to work with MyBB please make sure you have
#  the setting enabled in the Admin CP and you have this file
#  named .htaccess
#
<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
RewriteEngine on
RewriteRule ^forum-([0-9]+)\.html$ forumdisplay.php?fid=$1 [L,QSA]
RewriteRule ^forum-([0-9]+)-page-([0-9]+)\.html$ forumdisplay.php?fid=$1&page=$2 [L,QSA]

RewriteRule ^thread-([0-9]+)\.html$ showthread.php?tid=$1 [L,QSA]
RewriteRule ^thread-([0-9]+)-page-([0-9]+)\.html$ showthread.php?tid=$1&page=$2 [L,QSA]
RewriteRule ^thread-([0-9]+)-lastpost\.html$ showthread.php?tid=$1&action=lastpost [L,QSA]
RewriteRule ^thread-([0-9]+)-nextnewest\.html$ showthread.php?tid=$1&action=nextnewest [L,QSA]
RewriteRule ^thread-([0-9]+)-nextoldest\.html$ showthread.php?tid=$1&action=nextoldest [L,QSA]
RewriteRule ^thread-([0-9]+)-newpost\.html$ showthread.php?tid=$1&action=newpost [L,QSA]
RewriteRule ^thread-([0-9]+)-post-([0-9]+)\.html$ showthread.php?tid=$1&pid=$2 [L,QSA]

RewriteRule ^post-([0-9]+)\.html$ showthread.php?pid=$1 [L,QSA]

RewriteRule ^announcement-([0-9]+)\.html$ announcements.php?aid=$1 [L,QSA]

RewriteRule ^user-([0-9]+)\.html$ member.php?action=profile&uid=$1 [L,QSA]

RewriteRule ^calendar-([0-9]+)\.html$ calendar.php?calendar=$1 [L,QSA]
RewriteRule ^calendar-([0-9]+)-year-([0-9]+)-month-([0-9]+)\.html$ calendar.php?calendar=$1&year=$2&month=$3 [L,QSA]
RewriteRule ^calendar-([0-9]+)-year-([0-9]+)-month-([0-9]+)-day-([0-9]+)\.html$ calendar.php?action=dayview&calendar=$1&year=$2&month=$3&day=$4 [L,QSA]
RewriteRule ^calendar-([0-9]+)-week-(n?[0-9]+)\.html$ calendar.php?action=weekview&calendar=$1&week=$2 [L,QSA]

RewriteRule ^event-([0-9]+)\.html$ calendar.php?action=event&eid=$1 [L,QSA]

<IfModule mod_env.c>
SetEnv SEO_SUPPORT 1
</IfModule>
</IfModule>

#
# If Apache is compiled with built in mod_deflade/GZIP support
# then GZIP Javascript, CSS, HTML and XML so they're sent to
# the client faster.
#
<IfModule mod_deflate.c>
AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/css text/html application/xhtml+xml text/xml application/xml text/plain text/x-component application/javascript application/x-javascript application/rss+xml application/atom+xml application/json application/manifest+json application/x-web-app-manifest+json application/vnd.ms-fontobject application/font-sfnt application/font-woff application/font-woff2 image/svg+xml image/x-icon
</IfModule>

# Note: You are able to choose a different name in the Admin CP. If you've done that you need to change it here too
<Files "error.log">
Order Deny,Allow
Deny from all
</Files>
Can only recommend then that you contact your web hosting provider about this problem.
Thanks to everyone for their help. I was able to get most of the issues resolved. Just in case someone else has the same issue. Here is what I did.

1. Updated one upgrade at a time. 1.8.20 > 1.8.21 > 1.8.22. Seems I have issues once I goto 1.8.23 and forward. I also had to delete the Install Folder from the server. then everything seemed to work. My next step is to figure out why 1.8.23 is causing problems.

Thanks Everyone I was able to upgrade to 1.8.24.  Now I know how these things work.  

Upload all your files with FTP and after that, Delete the Install Folder.  

Took me a bit to figure this out, but hopefully, this will save some time for other users.
Glad it worked out.

Reading this thread again, you should've been running .../install/upgrade.php.  Which doesn't explain the 404 errors.  A previous install or upgrade should've locked the install directory, but don't recall ever getting a 404 error.

After running the upgrade, believe removing the /install directory is optional.  A lock file will be placed in the folder after the procedure runs.

cheers...