MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MariaDB
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello, 

For long time I used phpbb, but myBB look better. Smile I have question. Can I use MariaDB for myBB? Or what is better, MySQL or PostreSQL?

Thank you and sorry for my English. Smile
I can't answer on the PostreSQL vs MariaDB argument, but I can tell you that MariaDB works great with MyBB. Using it myself, it's a drop-in replacement so you shouldn't experience any issues.

I will mention that many installations of it come with strict mode enabled. Strict mode is ordinarily a good thing (forces the DB engine to validate incoming data), but many third party plugins aren't developed with it in mind. Most of us usually recommend disabling strict mode for MySQL/MariaDB installs for that reason.
MariaDB is a fork of MySQL but works better and its fully compatible with MySQL (actually). In debian, when installing MySQL, you get mariadb Smile
Postgresql works fine but it's not totally compatible with MySQL and most plugins here are developped only with MySQL thinking (I do, it's bad but I do...).

(2020-12-04, 05:03 PM)Darth Apple Wrote: [ -> ]Most of us usually recommend disabling strict mode for MySQL/MariaDB installs for that reason.
I recommend to correct the plugins to make them working in strict mode.
If you have access to PostgreSQL, use it. If not; use MariaDB.
Use MariaDB for greater compatibility with plugins developed by the community.
Thank you. I use MariaDB. Smile