MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Clean Install and Importing old forum
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I suspect there were some files that are not updated correctly. The forum started from 1.8.9 originally and being upgraded consistently until the latest version.

I was browsing my bb directory to setup Redis cache and finding the config files. it was missing the Redis line after memcache section
/**
 * Redis configuration
 *  If you are using Redis as your data-cache
 *  you need to configure the hostname and port
 *  of your redis server below. If you want
 *  to connect via unix sockets, use the full
 *  path to the unix socket as host and leave
 *  the port setting unconfigured or false.
 */

$config['redis']['host'] = 'localhost';
$config['redis']['port'] = 6379;

So I purpose installed a clean mybb on some folder and there it was, those lines are suppose to be there.
I was thinking how many other files are not updated correctly of all those years.

SO my question:
Can we install a clean MYBB
Create new database (import old one to this new database)
And just upload (bring over to the new installed bb) the "attachments" folder and nothing else.

* we have tons of images uploaded as attachment and some files like doc, pdf etc.

Will the new mybb work if I do that. I wanted everything else as new files, and not to be carry forward unnecessarily ( to make sure other files are NEW)

IF it doesnt work that way, can you tell me how do I this?

Many thanks in advance

Just an update
I created new mybb forum ( A )
- post few thread
- upload an image

I created another mybb forum ( B )
- import database from A
- all threads are there same like A
- the image also exist

So I am not sure on large forum how it works (i have about 30k threads) and about 10Gb of attachments

But its looks promising. I want to know the experts opinion.
You should know that:
  • Redis support is added in 1.8.23.
  • The file ./inc/config.php, which contains db connection credentials and other relevant configurations, is usually generated during installation and won't get updated automatically.
  • We provide both full installation packages and changed files downloads for each version.

IMO the best way to achieve your goal is to install a new forum and use the generated ./inc/config.php file as the base, add missing configuration parts into your existing forum's configuration file, and then delete the new forum's db tables and files, that's it.

If you doubt if there's any other file not being updated, compare your forum's files with files from the full packages.

Edited: oh sorry, I forgot that you may also try the File Verification tool listed under AdminCP > Tools & Maintenance to verify forum files.
-I actually did try to verify the forum files, before inserting the redis code lines manually.

-And the ACP status was everything is correct at that time. So it couldn't detect any actual code written but only check that name of necessary files exist. ( I think)

-And you are saying, when we do upgrade, it won't add any additional new codes that are updated? And if I am wrong, why didn't the config files got updated when I upgraded from 1.8.23 to 1.8.24

-I hope you can comment on my way of bringing only the attachment folder, as I think the config files and settings ini files can be manually updated. Is there any other files/folders that should be brought over?
(2020-12-05, 12:32 PM)safiedin Wrote: [ -> ]-I actually did try to verify the forum files, before inserting the redis code lines manually.

-And the ACP status was everything is correct at that time. So it couldn't detect any actual code written but only check that name of necessary files exist. ( I think)

This tool will also use MD5 to verify each file. However, the configuration file ./inc/config.php is excluded from being check.

(2020-12-05, 12:32 PM)safiedin Wrote: [ -> ]-And you are saying, when we do upgrade, it won't add any additional new codes that are updated? And if I am wrong, why didn't the config files got updated when I upgraded from 1.8.23 to 1.8.24

Only the configuration file ./inc/config.php won't get updated, you may need to edit it manually. And the setting file ./inc/settings.php is auto-generated every time when you save board settings from AdminCP.

(2020-12-05, 12:32 PM)safiedin Wrote: [ -> ]-I hope you can comment on my way of bringing only the attachment folder, as I think the config files and settings ini files can be manually updated. Is there any other files/folders that should be brought over?

Please read the answer to your 3rd question.

If your forum is running correctly, I suggest you to edit the configuration file ./inc/config.php manually, according to a new installation or this documentation https://docs.mybb.com/1.8/administration...tion-file/ .
Thanks for the answers.

I understand it now.

Another thing is, as for memcache, memcached and redis, which one that works better with mybb that really speed it up.