MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Giphy Support?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Just a question to any of the developers of MyBB.

Any chance of having support for inserting Giphy into threads/posts? (via the editor?)

I've asked about it here before, no one from the development team has responded to this question.

Anyone?
You can already add images/gifs from Giphy to your posts using the [img] tag.
I guess Serpius is looking for a "gif search" as it exists on twitter, using the giphy API.
(2020-12-10, 04:09 PM)Crazycat Wrote: [ -> ]I guess Serpius is looking for a "gif search" as it exists on twitter, using the giphy API.

Here's an example of a GIF link straight from Giphy.com

[Image: giphy.gif]
(2020-12-11, 12:33 PM)Serpius Wrote: [ -> ]
(2020-12-10, 04:09 PM)Crazycat Wrote: [ -> ]I guess Serpius is looking for a "gif search" as it exists on twitter, using the giphy API.
Well, I don't really understand your need. Giphy provides pictures, and the MyBB' editor allow you to add any picture, without proposal of base url. What do you want to be added in MyBB exactly ?
Can be done with the API.

https://support.giphy.com/hc/en-us/artic...-GIPHY-API

Suggest a plugin author is hired. This should not be integrated by devs.
(2020-12-11, 12:41 PM)Crazycat Wrote: [ -> ]
(2020-12-11, 12:33 PM)Serpius Wrote: [ -> ]
Well, I don't really understand your need. Giphy provides pictures, and the MyBB' editor allow you to add any picture, without proposal of base url. What do you want to be added in MyBB exactly ?

Sorry that I was not clear in that post. I hope I will clarify this more...

I am referring to the default Editor found in MyBB.

The confusion comes in as to how people interpret an "animated" GIF, such as found in Giphy.com and on Twitter as well. 

Many people (myself included) will assume that it's a video and will try to select a video option in the dropdown menu of the default Editor as shown in the screenshot.

[Yes, I know technically speaking, an "animated" GIF is still a GIF, but not everyone is a technical expert like some people are in MyBB.com community and some people can argue that an Image is different from an "animated" GIF]

[Image: KH4QzzU.png?1]

Specifically, I like to see Giphy and Twitter added to that list for users to select to make the posting easier for everyone.

I believe that Iabrocca (post #6) is correct about the Giphy API. 
I'm not a programmer/coder, so that is something that can be requested to be added in. 

Will an Add-on to the default Editor work for this purpose? Does anyone know?

Here's one website that had added a GIF icon in the default Editor for this purpose.

[Image: ISdD3he.png?1]
(2020-12-12, 07:21 AM)Serpius Wrote: [ -> ]Here's one website that had added a GIF icon in the default Editor for this purpose.
That seems really nice Serpius, I think it would be a custom plugin in SCEditor, here is the documentation for anyone who wishes to add a custom plugin (https://www.sceditor.com/documentation/custom-plugins/)
(2020-12-12, 08:50 AM)WallBB Wrote: [ -> ]
(2020-12-12, 07:21 AM)Serpius Wrote: [ -> ]Here's one website that had added a GIF icon in the default Editor for this purpose.
That seems really nice Serpius, I think it would be a custom plugin in SCEditor, here is the documentation for anyone who wishes to add a custom plugin (https://www.sceditor.com/documentation/custom-plugins/)

Thanks for your response, but as I mentioned earlier in this thread... I'm not a programmer/coder, so I wouldn't have a clue how to add something like this into the SCEeditor. 

Can this be added to the default MyBB editor, too? Maybe, by way of a plugin?
(2020-12-12, 08:54 AM)Serpius Wrote: [ -> ]
(2020-12-12, 08:50 AM)WallBB Wrote: [ -> ]

Thanks for your response, but as I mentioned earlier in this thread... I'm not a programmer/coder, so I wouldn't have a clue how to add something like this into the SCEeditor. 

Can this be added to the default MyBB editor, too? Maybe, by way of a plugin?

Yes, I think it is possible using the SCEditor plugin way.
Using the above SCEditor document and API of Giphy that Labrocca suggested, it can be done.

Also to your delight, I was able to find that this SCEditor plugin is already coded by someone Smile
https://github.com/SethClydesdale/gifactif

Cheers
WallBB
Pages: 1 2