MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Changing hosting
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Moving from LeaseWeb to GoDaddy. 

Do I just drag and drop all files to the new host and change DNS and the site will work as is?  Or is their some special steps I need to take?

Thank you!
Pretty much, yeah - you'll also need to take a database backup, import that to the new host, and set the new connection details in ./inc/config.php, but other than that it's just a case of copying files over and changing DNS.

I'd also recommend setting the board to be closed on the old host before you take the database backup, that way anyone who hits the old server won't be able to add new content to it, and once their DNS updates, they'll be able to post as normal.
(2020-12-12, 09:34 PM)Matt Wrote: [ -> ]Pretty much, yeah - you'll also need to take a database backup, import that to the new host, and set the new connection details in ./inc/config.php, but other than that it's just a case of copying files over and changing DNS.

I'd also recommend setting the board to be closed on the old host before you take the database backup, that way anyone who hits the old server won't be able to add new content to it, and once their DNS updates, they'll be able to post as normal.
Thank you!  How do I import that to the new host?
1. You're right with copying all files from the current host to the new one. Then you get a identical fileset.
When you have identical files for a forum migration, you only need to change the domain and cookies settings afterwards, mentioned by Matt.

2. The current database needs to be exported (in a solid state, therefore close the current forum before export).
Database export can be achieved by a "Database Backup" from ACP - or any other DB tools provided by your current webhoster. Be sure all tables (with schema and content) are exported.
After creating an export, you can transfer this export to your new webserver and run a database import.

When fileset and database is in place on your new hoster, you can open ACP again and correct domain/URL as well as cookie settings.
Thats all for a forum migration. Good luck!

[ExiTuS]
(2020-12-13, 01:52 AM)mrfield16 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2020-12-12, 09:34 PM)Matt Wrote: [ -> ]Pretty much, yeah - you'll also need to take a database backup, import that to the new host, and set the new connection details in ./inc/config.php, but other than that it's just a case of copying files over and changing DNS.

Thank you!  How do I import that to the new host?
[ExiTuS] has written very well.
These are the links with screenshots and detailed information
https://docs.mybb.com/1.8/administration/backups/
https://docs.mybb.com/1.8/install/database-restore/

I also wrote a tutorial on WallBB long time ago
(https://wallbb.co.uk/mybb-forum-backup-r...-tutorial/ (will update it with more information in future)

Regards
WallBB