MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Image Auto-Resizer 1.1.0
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Interesting Plugin. It is very useful. Thank you for sharing.
@Eldenroot Thanks for sharing this plugin. Will give it a try.
It is not only me, we are a team (@Laird & @effone), check oir others plugins released under Mybb group Smile
Much needed pkugin but sadly uses GD library instead or/and ImageMagick.
(2021-02-23, 02:58 AM)Alhimika Wrote: [ -> ]Much needed pkugin but sadly uses GD library instead or/and ImageMagick.

It uses the same libraries as core code, since its basic feature is based on a core code function (generate_thumbnail()). I haven't tried to assess which libraries that core code uses, nor whether they can be improved; I've simply relied on that core code. If you think that the libraries used are inferior, you'd be best off advocating for a change in core code (which would then be reflected in this plugin).
(2021-02-23, 03:10 AM)Laird Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-02-23, 02:58 AM)Alhimika Wrote: [ -> ]Much needed pkugin but sadly uses GD library instead or/and ImageMagick.

It uses the same libraries as core code, since its basic feature is based on a core code function (generate_thumbnail()). I haven't tried to assess which libraries that core code uses, nor whether they can be improved; I've simply relied on that core code. If you think that the libraries used are inferior, you'd be best off advocating for a change in core code (which would then be reflected in this plugin).

For the purpose generating thumbnails DG serves its purpose just fine. 
Besides ImageMagick is not supported on the most of lightspeed shared hosting servers. 
But I wouldn't use this for resizing full size photos unless prepared for a serious loss of photo quality
That's interesting. I wasn't aware of that criticism of GD. Where can I read more about this problem?

I suppose one approach we could take is to test for the presence of ImageMagick and fall back to GD if it isn't present.
(2021-02-23, 10:21 AM)Laird Wrote: [ -> ]I suppose one approach we could take is to test for the presence of ImageMagick and fall back to GD if it isn't present.

Probably this is the best thing to do. 

From my best knowledge GD is not able to work with color profiles more than it strips this on resize. 
Depening on image but difference may be significant. 
If a bit more time I could compare side by side resizing GD vs ImageMagick
Sure, it would be interesting to see the results of a side-by-side comparison, but no worries if you don't have time. I'd also be interested in any other folk who have any insight into the differences between (pros and cons of) ImageMagick and GD.
Ok. I've done some tests.
Sorry I'm not any professional photographer to get mega good flower photos, so let's call this practical test.

ImageMagick 7.0.10-10 VS GD bundled (2.1.0 compatible)

In my humble opinion GD wasn't that bad. Maybe this is my server setup, but most of the people wouldn't see any difference except on small photo.
The more resize the more details DG looses comparing to ImageMagick. But GD files are a little bit smaller comparing to ImageMagick. 
Well... Except of small photo. Here ImageMagick was superior both quality and size wise. 

Speed wise more or less the same. I wasn't bother to compare this

Probably someone else with a bit more professional photo would get a different results
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7