MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Image Auto-Resizer 1.1.0
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Image Auto-Resizer is a plugin for MyBB 1.8. It auto-resizes uploaded images so that they do not exceed a stipulated maximum width and height (defaulting to 900 pixels for both).

Via the Admin Control Panel (ACP), it is possible to:
  • Set the maximum image height and width for image attachments.
  • Resize all preexisting uploaded image attachments, by clicking "Go" beside Tools & Maintenance -> Recount & Rebuild -> Resize Uploaded Images.
Installing
  1. Download.
    Download an archive of the plugin's files.
  2. Copy files.
    Extract the files in that archive to a temporary location, and then copy the files in "root" into the root of your MyBB installation.
  3. Install via the ACP.
    In a web browser, open the "Plugins" module in the ACP of your MyBB installation. You should see "Image Auto-Resizer" under "Inactive Plugins". Click "Install & Activate" next to it. You should then see the plugin listed under "Active Plugins" on the reloaded page.
  4. Configure settings.
    Navigate in the ACP to Settings -> Plugin Settings -> Image Auto-Resizer and configure your preferred values for the settings.
  5. Resize preexisting images
    Optionally (but recommended), run "Resize Uploaded Images" as described above.
Licence

Image Auto-Resizer is licensed under the GPL version 3.

Maintainers and credits

Image Auto-Resizer was originally authored by Laird to be maintained by the unofficial MyBB Group, as inspired by azalea4va in the MyBB Community Forums thread Resize image attachments, and as suggested by Eldenroot after he read that thread.

Contributing

Feel free to open an issue or send a pull request to the plugin's GitHub repository.
Say bye to oversized images, long loading times and huge used space for image attachments Smile
Nice tool. :thumbsup
Very interesting plugin, I remember there used to be auto-resize plugin in past but that became outdated.
I have a question, how will this plugin render images for mobile? Will it be the same or different?
Basically, does it supports srcset as it will vastly improve image sizes for different devices?
Very interested Smile
Right now, the plugin is very basic: it solely resizes oversized uploaded image files on disk with the aim of saving disk space - replacing the original image file rather than creating a new one - so, it currently doesn't provide alternative image sizes, and thus, no, it doesn't currently support srcset. We could say then that its only effect on rendering (on mobile or any other device) is to (potentially) offer the browser a smaller-sized file than was originally uploaded.

The idea of supporting srcset is an interesting one though... maybe in a future release?
Very useful plugin, I like it. I would only suggest in future releases, to add compression, that will also compress images after they being resized.
(2020-12-21, 03:21 PM)GasmoN Wrote: [ -> ]Very useful plugin, I like it. I would only suggest in future releases, to add compression, that will also compress images after they being resized.

Yes, that's a good idea, which @Eldenroot had too and has added as GitHub issue #3: Optimize image to reduce size.

(2020-12-21, 02:38 PM)WallBB Wrote: [ -> ]Basically, does it supports srcset as it will vastly improve image sizes for different devices?

I've added GitHub issue #5 for this in case you want to follow any discussions that might happen there: Generate different image sizes and support the "srcset" img tag attribute.
My forum has a lot of images in attachments, many of them are from smartphones with high resolution, so the size of photos is quite a lot... with this plugin I have saved almost 7 GB, now images use only 11 GB, before it was 18 GB, so I am happy and I do not need to buy extra space on my webhosting.
Quote:
(2020-12-21, 02:38 PM)WallBB Wrote: [ -> ]Basically, does it supports srcset as it will vastly improve image sizes for different devices?

I've added GitHub issue #5 for this in case you want to follow any discussions that might happen there: Generate different image sizes and support the "srcset" img tag attribute.
Awesome, there can be a setting that can enable this feature Smile
With Image compression, this will be a great feature.
@effone is working on few enhancements Smile maybe soon, we will see Smile
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7