MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Clone my forum to a local server for testing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,
I would like to update my forum and for that I want to do local tests. I can't find any guide to do it. Currently I have cloned my forum with FTP and exported the database and imported with phpmyadmin. Also, I have configured the settings.php file

When I enter the local (MAMP) path, the forum works but if I access any thread, I get the message "The requested URL was not found on this server.

I would appreciate your help. Thank you
Have a test environment somewhat similar.  Except I use a downloaded copy of my VPS nightly backup.  Untar and place files - then import the DB via CLI.  Just need to change ownership of the files, because my test web host runs a different web server account.   Can't speak for MAMP or other prepackaged environments, but the principle should be the same.  When you first set it up, I'd double check required MyBB file permissions as well - link.

I wouldn't run a htaccess file on a local install, especially the one you have in your prod environment.  So when you copy and place files, suggest you remove or rename that.

Assuming you've all the settings.php - and the corresponding ACP site details correct - should be good to go.  Might need to adjust a few templates if you have hard coded links or changed the MyBB install relative path.

Pay particular attention to the settings.php AND ACP values for:

bburl
cookiedomain
cookiepath
cookieprefix
securecookieflag

Good luck...
Thank you. I'm going to try it!
Just be sure you have all required PHP extensions for MyBB.  Some plugins may have additional requirements:

https://docs.mybb.com/1.8/install/requirements/

Speaking from personal experience, I'd try to be as close as possible to the MySQL and PHP versions as your production environment.  Ways to get around this, but why complicate things out of the gate?