MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: HTTP ERROR 500 on path /forum
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello to all,

I have got my forum down with an HTTP ERROR 500 on the path /forum.
At the root I have WP and that is not giving any sort of errors

This happened since my host changed server.
I have checked with cloudflare and everything is well setup

I dunno how to fix this
is it a .htaccess issue at /forum?

Does any of you have an idea of what may have happened during migration, because I don't
saw the error.log and there is nothing there

Thank you for any clues you may give me
Klaus

PS. Strange enough the admin area and private messages can be reached
Error/500 is generic, that represents server is not responding for any possible reason.

If you are hitting with Error/500 for any faulty code of your MyBB installation there should be a new file error_log generated at the forum's root. Look for it.
Thanks for reaching out effone

I checked and the last error is from [18-Aug-2018 18:06:45 UTC]

I dunno if you saw but we can access our secured admin area and Member PM's also
it is getting me nuts here…how can a simple migration give all this havoc
Hello I don't have knowledge as the staff but if u using 2 or 3 years without problems your forum and now u have that error maybe is by new added plugin. Or you need to update to the newest mybb version or check your host, the most of the hosting sites have forum comunity as well, so u could ask there and report your problem, or php version, or if u using for example Cloudflare, check your cloudflare as well...
If I am in your place I would check these things, if I didn't had errors so long but now I am facing one. .
Yeah, as mentioned above I would try to disable all plugins in the ACP so you can see if it is one of those causing the issue. I would also mention it to your host since you mentioned that it has only been happenining since they moved servers.
@grouparrow and @Ben - I tried disabling all the plugins… it didn't work.

I am inclined to think that this is really a host problem during migration. I do have a cPanel full backup made
do you think I should do that and probably things get like they were?

My host continues not to solve any issues for over 3 days or even giving me the cPanel access
I am thinking of getting a server with VestaCP, does any work with it, and know if it is possible to convert the cPanel tar.gz into a vesta and load it there?

Thank you so very much for all the hints and help you are giving me!
Don't have a magic solution - just too many unknowns.  Don't think you're being ignored, just doesn't seem to add up.  Board was working on one server - you move - now it's not.  But WP in the root does?  No web management panel, so not sure what kind of setup you have.  Would like to see your web server error log for clues - do you have cli access?

Restoring a cpanel backup indiscriminately without knowing what you have - can't recommend.  And how are you going to do that anyway without cpanel?  You could extract your database and board files by untarring the archive, but you'd need ftp access to place them.  And probably cli access to work with them.

Seems a very strange situation, but maybe that's just me.  And I went though a server migration last October.  With a WP installation in the root, and our board in /forum.

When I first read this thread, at first suspected something wrong in htaccess.  But if ACP works, but not the main board, that doesn't seem consistent.  You could very well have more than one htaccess, with WP in the root and your board elsewhere.  Too many unanswered questions for me. Confused
As I mention I don't have developer knowledge but If I am in your place, since you mention that you have backup,

First: I will create new backup with the existing issue (just in case in the other steps something get worse)

Second: I will move to other host with new registered domain via freenom.com for free and I would use 000webghost.com for host , to see if with new host I will facing problems , I will upload all files in the new host via Filezilla,

Third : I will use the old backup file which you mentioned (keep in mind if is very old backup file you would not have the new members registered and etc and also if is so old you would need to upload new mybb version also .)
After you do that you would facing internal MySQL error, in inc/config.php in your fillezila or file manager change your old database name with your new database name and etc
In inc/settings.php remove your old domain and add the new registered domain etc

I could also use only default theme during the test

If everything is working perfectly fine, try to upload as well the new backup file with the current issue in the new host, if again everything is working fine, that means your current host is causing the problems and you need to change it

Everything above is for test reasons with new domain and new host for free, u can do that for 2 hours and it's worth testing it.
Hi to all,

the issue was solved with the host using the cPanel home backup
ok we've lost a few threads but at least the forum is now formatted like it should
and from the first impression, everything is working as it should.

Thank you to all for pointing paths and alternatives to get things solved
It was really a host issue