MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Backup questions.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi ,

Question 1:
What is the most preferred choice for backup ,from Admin panel in Tools Maintenance (new backup)  or directly from MySQL phpmyadmin .

Question 2:
In Admin panel in Tools Maintenance (new backup) What means optimized and analized backup and what will happen if i click ''No'' , picture: https://prnt.sc/wmpldw

Thanks.
Hey grouparrow

1) MySQL/phpmyadmin directly in my opinion

2) unsure, I never use the backup feature myself
1. They're both equally sufficient, but the one from phpMyAdmin will be smaller in file size because it will write bulk insert statements, instead of a single insert statement per row like the MyBB one does. Both work just as well as the other, just the bulk one creates a smaller file.

2. It means it will run some operational cleanup queries on the database that may reduce the file size a bit, but might be a bit slower to run on large databases so it's optional.
Hello Ben , Matt
Thanks for the answers
Just a small notice: I'm not sure phpmyadmin lets you store backup on your server, so you can have trouble with big databases.
If you can, you'd better choose the console mode and make backups using mysqldump
(2021-01-13, 10:45 PM)Crazycat Wrote: [ -> ]Just a small notice: I'm not sure phpmyadmin lets you store backup on your server, so you can have trouble with big databases.
If you can, you'd better choose the console mode and make backups using mysqldump
Hello, thanks for the answer. 

Question :
The backup from the admin panel- Tools Maitenance, it  can create full backup with big databases or only mysqldumb can do that ?
It should physically be able to, whether the server is able to do it without timing out is another matter. For larger databases, it'd probably be better to use mysqldump.