MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Looking for MyBB hosting recommendations - hostgator
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Spoken to my hosting provider (netnerd)
And they argeed to refund me, so I will be migrating to other hosting provider. 

In fact I am looking for multi site shared hosting, since I forum is the most important, but I have some other sites as well.
What I need. C panel, number of processes at least 20-25, moderately priced. 
I am ready to pay up to $10 per month

I am looking towards hostgator. 
Anyone with MyBb on hostgator? Any issues filtering e notices to error_log and are you allowed to chande in in php.ini?

I heard their customer service is far from the best, but I used to it. 
Also I used to technical support stupidity. Today they added display_errors = on
And reported website is running ok. Omg

So yes. If MyBB is ok with Hostgator?

P.S
I heard siteground is quite good, but a bit more expensive. Anyone with siteground?
MyBB forums should run with no issues on Hostgator, it's a fairly common hosting provider around here. My main server is a self-managed VPS, but I also use Ramnode shared hosting for a few different things and will say it's a great choice, probably one of the only shared hosting providers I've ever truly had a good experience with. They are a bit of a smaller company, but their customer service is fantastic and they have higher resource limits than Hostgator (less likely to suspend you if you get busier bursts).

For $4/month, it's not bad. https://ramnode.com/#shared

(They are primary a VPS provider, but don't let that fool you. They have great cPanel/shared hosting as well).
(2021-01-30, 09:23 PM)Darth Apple Wrote: [ -> ]MyBB forums should run with no issues on Hostgator, it's a fairly common hosting provider around here. My main server is a self-managed VPS, but I also use Ramnode shared hosting for a few different things and will say it's a great choice, probably one of the only shared hosting providers I've ever truly had a good experience with. They are a bit of a smaller company, but their customer service is fantastic and they have higher resource limits than Hostgator (less likely to suspend you if you get busier bursts).

For $4/month, it's not bad. https://ramnode.com/#shared

(They are primary a VPS provider, but don't let that fool you. They have great cPanel/shared hosting as well).

Hi!
Many thanks for recommendations!
I had a look. It's not bad. Not bad at all. 
For now I won't even consider Hostgator. 

The only thing not up to my specs is 1Gb memory. 
At the moment I have 2 and it's not enough. I do not know how is it even possible, but not enough 

I had a look at Namehero and they offer nearly same pack with 2GB on plus cloud ($5) and 3GB on turbo cloud ($9) . Though a bit more expensive
Hmm, yea the 2GB RAM limit might be a little tricky. I've been doing some research out of curiosity, and the resource limits on Shared hosting are all-around a little challenging once you need more compute power. It also depends on exactly what kinds of websites are on them. The majority of shared hosts pretty much top out around 1GB limits, as far as I recall.

One thing I will say is that Ramnode uses Openlitespeed instead of Apache, which is far faster and less intensive on RAM. However, if your current needs are 2GB, I'm not sure if Openlitespeed would make enough of a difference to bring you down to 1GB. It largely depends on what exactly you're doing/hosting and what the nature of the limits require.

Siteground is apparently concerning on the CPU side of things. Their $10 plan limits you to 10 minutes/hr (18% of a CPU core max) and a hard cap(no more than 20% for 10 seconds). CPU limits like this are no problem for small wordpress sites or forums that don't have a ton of traffic, but if you're hosting several higher traffic websites, you'll exhaust those limits quickly. I would, for sure, not be able to host my website on these. I regularly run loads higher than this just on a normal evening.

Although there are high-resource-limit shared hosts for this sort of thing, they are a little few and far between. Most of them make a TON of money by putting thousands of websites on a server, and when they do that, they can't really afford to let any one website use a very large slice of that pie. (The end result for you is that you'll end up having a nice, healthy evening on a Friday night with a good boost in traffic, and you'll wake up to a suspended email the next day telling you that you used 0.4 cores and that it was somehow "CPU abuse")

Probably the best solution (and perhaps the most common one) at this point is VPS hosting. The downside is that you will need to get familiar with a command line and the learning curve to getting started will be higher. But if you are willing to invest a little time to figure it out the first couple of days, it can be worth it. You can very easily get a $10/month VPS with 2GB of dedicated RAM, 2 CPU cores that are yours (don't hammer them at 100% 24/7, but otherwise you can use them when you need them), and much faster I/O performance because you are sharing the server with many fewer people. (Look into Ramnode, Linode, DigitalOcean,and BuyVM for good performance/prices).

Although going the VPS route is probably the best option, the server management aspect can be a downside (or an upside if you're comfortable with teh command line). If you want to go the shared hosting route, check out KnownHost. They are pretty much a host that specializes in needs like yours, and their best shared package (professional) is at $10/month and has a 2-core CPU limit and a 2GB RAM limit. As far as shared hosting goes, that's highly impressive. It's well worth the $10/month price as far as this industry goes. Smile

(Although those $10/month packages may seem expensive on Knownhost, make no mistake. Those resource limits are the best I have ever seen on shared hosting. Short of VPS hosting, those plans might be your best bet as of thus far. )
Hi Alhimika.

A2Hosting have 2GB ram on their shared hosting plan.
Hawkhost have 1GB ram and very affordable shared hosting plans.

Both are worth a look. Great support and not oversold to the point where it's unusable.
At one point I couldn't even sftp into HostGator anymore because they wanted to put too many people onto one server.
many thanks for your replies!

So far Namehero was the first on my list... but
Trying contact sales using web form came up with errors
Had a live chat and askes them to contact using email. Something they did
Level 3 support couldn't answer simple generic questions. Really bad
But she opened ticket and forwarded to supervisor
Opened ticket had terrible parsing with all CSS on your screen Sad

So far everything was telling no to go there

Couple of hours later Supervisor contacted me:

* I'm not eligible for free transfer since my disk usage 11GB
* No free domain transfers, but a a cost about $10
* No Omeka support whatsoever on their lightspeed server(I have Omeka as well lol) and they won't be even bothered if it works or not.

For now I contacted KnownHost with the same enquiry

I will keep updated

KnownHost is also taken off my list . They not bothered with Omeka. No ImageMagick and there won't be

Some other things including domain transfers

Will keep updated

I've contacted a2hosting

a2hosting sales couldn't get right their own hosting plans even I stated clearly shared hosting Turbo Cloud

so taking off my list
(2021-01-31, 07:17 PM)Alhimika Wrote: [ -> ]I've contacted a2hosting

a2hosting sales couldn't get right their own hosting plans even I stated clearly shared hosting Turbo Cloud

so taking off my list
If you are going to shared hosting, then I definitely recommend A2Hosting. I am hosting quite a big forum with them and never experienced a problem.
8 hours no reply from greengeeks or interservers.
But few minutes ago very short and pathetic reply from interservers
And to no surprise no Omeka support.
I start thinking all them lightspeed servers not exactly what they say the are.
It looks old fashioned vanilla server on apache is not bad afterall

(2021-02-01, 04:10 AM)WallBB Wrote: [ -> ]

so taking off my list
If you are going to shared hosting, then I definitely recommend A2Hosting. I am hosting quite a big forum with them and never experienced a problem.

You see, all it takes to spoil everything is one incompetent or lazy person somewhere in sales department  Big Grin

Ok
I've made up my mind.
For now I know many people will laugh at me, but I am going for namecheap shared stellar hosting.
Specs and prices you cannot argue with.
Old fashioned Apache with good specs.

Speaking about such an 'extra goodies' lightspeed hosters supply, like a 'free transfer'
Sorry this is just a marketing scam. All they ready to do is just to unzip you cpanel back up.
Can do it myself, not a big deal. My teenage daughter could do it as well.
Anyway many thanks for your replies. This helped me a lot and I learned from them.
(2021-02-01, 09:43 AM)Alhimika Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-02-01, 04:10 AM)WallBB Wrote: [ -> ]

so taking off my list

You see, all it takes to spoil everything is one incompetent or lazy person somewhere in sales department  Big Grin
Sad to see that experience for you, give them a try in the future. You can request 100% refund if you are not satisfied.

Anyways good luck with your new project. Smile
Ok Gents!
Finally I moved to namecheap.
For now I'm looking at my new cpanel specs and I smile
I just simply smile.
Also properly configured server, unlike my previous hosting provider. Had no clue what they were doing.

Paid $57 for two years which is bargain.
Stellar Plus
more than 10 times cheaper comparing to my previous host and with times better specs

Cons - Customer service . All of customer service based somewhere in Ukraine.
Obviously English is not their first language and for them it takes ages to understand simple things.

But in overall I'm more than happy since magnificent value for money.
Pages: 1 2