MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MyBB Repairing Crashed Table
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Versions: My forum is running MyBB 1.8.24 and PHP version 7.4.14. It was a fresh install and has been running with users since early December 2020.

Error Msgs/Users: Upon hitting the http://www.ponybytes.com/forum/index.php page, most users are seeing this error message:
Quote:This bulletin board is currently closed. The Administrator has specified the reason as to why below.
MyBB is automatically repairing a crashed table.

Error Msgs/Admin: I got a slightly different message when I accessed https://www.ponybytes.com/index.php (the site's top-level welcome page), citing a MyBB Internal Server error and no custom messaging with it. I then went to the forum main page at http://www.ponybytes.com/forum/index.php and I was able to see the forum, but there was a pink notice that the board was "closed." When I checked the Admin CP, there was an error message in the Dashboard or Tools & Maint giving me a combo "MyBB Internal Server error/MyBB repairing crashed table" message. It disappeared after I briefly paged through Admin CP.

However, in the Configuration tab, the Board Settings > Board Online/Offline was still set to "Board is closed" and the specified reason is still "MyBB is automatically repairing a crashed table."

Additional PHP Error: I got a message from my reports PHP page (it's a page I made that is in a non-forum directory) at https://www.ponybytes.com/other/reports.php?uid=1 stating that

Quote:Disk full (/tmp#sql_4688_79.MAI); waiting for someone to free some space... (errno: 28 "No space left on device")

I've checked and we have physical space, memory etc. or so it appears from our stats.

My Questions: How do I figure out what table is crashing? And how do I figure out when MyBB is done doing this repair if in fact that is the truth? And - why isn't it letting me know that it's taken my forum down. That seems odd, but maybe that's how it is.

ETA: I found the Tasks Log and it has been reporting "The check tables task successfully ran with no corrupted tables found" repeatedly for the last 7-8 hours, far longer than the error message.

Thanks in advance for any help; I am a little spooked by this.
Is your sessions table type memory?  That no space error message in combination with the check table task makes me wonder.

When I had issues with sessions, users got an error trying to login to our board right away.  But didn't have the check tables task activated, so can't speak to that.  Default for a mysql memory table is 16 MB if memory serves - so heavy guest / bot activity can cause an issue in some circumstances.  

Checking the storage engine type via phpmyadmin easy enough though.

Good luck getting it sorted...
Thanks so much for your response! I had found an old thread on this subject (where the genesis of the issue is definitely not present here IIRC) so I checked the sessions table and it's 1.6 MB in size. That is the largest table in the database.

I also asked my host to look and see if there was anything at their end, and they got back to me late last night. The host said there was a graceful MySQL restart and speculated that might have caused the issue. I'm not sure if that's consistent with what I have read here though.
For future reference, checking for available disk space can be misleading if the MySQL server is in a different place to your web server (where your files are).

If your MySQL server in your config.php file is "localhost" or "127.0.0.1" then it's the same server, however if it's another IP address, it's a different server. This could mean your web server may have plenty of space, but the MySQL server may be full.
(2021-01-31, 02:34 PM)elizabeth1 Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks so much for your response! I had found an old thread on this subject (where the genesis of the issue is definitely not present here IIRC) so I checked the sessions table and it's 1.6 MB in size. That is the largest table in the database.

I also asked my host to look and see if there was anything at their end, and they got back to me late last night. The host said there was a graceful MySQL restart and speculated that might have caused the issue. I'm not sure if that's consistent with what I have read here though.

Was 1.6 MB when you checked it.  The Daily Cleanup job will clean out old sessions - and is run daily by default.

However @Matt makes an excellent point.  We really don't know what you have for space, or which was the problem table.  Thing about sessions though, who's online stats don't reflect the pressure guests (and bots) are putting on the table.  A given IP might have hundreds of connections in sessions for example.  And show as one guest in Who's Online.

This thread may give you further information to digest.  Not sure if it's applicable:

https://community.mybb.com/thread-228592.html

BTW, 1.6 MB is your largest table? That will change as your board populates. Toungue

cheers...