MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Need to change forum settings globally
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I switched a forum from invision to mybb and the setup and merge went well. There’s only one big problem. The forum has 9 different types of members, and a lot of forums and sub forums, and the member settings weren’t copied correctly. When the merge was done, it did say permissions may not be copied correctly, which is understandable due to the differences, but I have a LOT of fixing to do. 

There are 10 forums, 26 sub forums under them, and another 130 sub forums under those sub forums. 166 forums and 9 member types = a lot of clicking to set every forum one by one. 

If the sub forums were set to inherit the permissions, it would be simple, but every forum is set to using custom permissions. I need to go to every forum and clear the custom permissions for every member type. 

Is there an easy way to just remove all custom permissions from all forums?
If you run this SQL query:

TRUNCATE `mybb_forumpermissions`;

then go to ACP > Tools & Maintenance > Cache Manager > scroll down to forumpermissions and click Rebuild Cache, that will get rid of all of the permissions set on specific forums. If you wanted to keep some of them we'd need to modify the query, but this will just clear the whole lot out. It would then just use the standard usergroup permissions and you could set any custom permissions from a clean slate.

May be worth backing the table up first just in case you do end up needing it again.
Thanks. That’s exactly what I was looking for. I was watching table activity while clearing settings of a couple forums and found that it was simply removing entries from the table, so I tested by just removing another entry from the table and it didn’t appear to work. Rebuilding the cache is what I was missing.

Worked perfectly. Took about 2 hours to clear all settings, then go in and edit the dozen or so that needed to be different. If I had to do every one individually, it would have been more like a couple days to go through them all. Thanks.

Our old invision board is now running on your mybb instead.
About 8 years ago I was actually putting together my own forum system, but it was in my spare time, and by the time I was getting anywhere near being ready to use, there were a few other options already out there, so I quit working on that.