MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MyBB has experienced an internal error and cannot continue
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Was having problem with user authentication - so upgraded to 1.8.25 version and everything installed properly (as far as I could tell).  But now I'm getting: MyBB has experienced an internal error and cannot continue. 

I'm not sure where to look.   
Can you check your board settings to show all errors and warnings?
(2021-02-28, 03:27 PM)Ben Wrote: [ -> ]Can you check your board settings to show all errors and warnings?
Sure, but it's been a long time since I managed this site - so can you refresh my memory on where that would be? Editing to add if it's in the Admin CP, I can't get in there or any part of the site front end, I just keep getting the error message above.
If you can't login through the ACP you can go to your inc/settings.php file and manually update the setting there.
(2021-02-28, 03:41 PM)Ben Wrote: [ -> ]If you can't login through the ACP you can go to your inc/settings.php file and manually update the setting there.
Ok - I have the file open, but there are a lot of settings in here - which one particularly am I changing?
can anyone guide me to what particular setting I'm changing and what I'm changing it too. Or perhaps the documentation that tells me what values it might be looking for?
Not sure exactly where Ben is taking you, but to temporarily turn error handling on via settings.php:

$settings['useerrorhandling'] = "1";

You can also specify additional parameters:

$settings['errorloglocation'] = "./error.log";
$settings['errorlogmedium'] = "log";
$settings['errortypemedium'] = "both";

All of which correspond to the values in Server and Optimization Options of your ACP.  To make permanent you need to access the ACP and update as required.  Note, the above will log errors to a file.
Thanks nixer.

OP, apologies but I am working and studying as well so didn't get a chance to check back. Can you then make sure you have in your root MyBB install a error.log file. You can then try to access your board a few times and then check your error log again to see if anything has been logged to point us in the direction of this error.