MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Host upgrading their PHP
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I should of done this a while ago, but I kept putting it off and got busy with other things. A while ago I got an email from Hostgator that they are upgrading their servers sometime between March 2nd and 7th to PHP 7.4 and older versions won't be supported. I'm afraid I'm still running on MyBB 1.6 because I've been scared of doing a major update and as a result I'm still on PHP 5.2.17. I wanted to make sure that 1.8 is at least 7.4 and any tips for upgrading.

I also need to fix some formatting issues, but that is mostly cosmetic.

PS: I wasn't the one to set up my website. The founder stepped down and left me in charge. I haven't spoken to them in years and so far I've only done minor updates and delt with spam bots.
> I wanted to make sure that 1.8 is at least 7.4 and any tips for upgrading.

Not at least, but 1.8 is with complete support of 7.4. It will support PHP 8.0 in next release.

The tips would be
1. Keep a complete backup of your database and hosted files before attempting an upgrade, so that you can always go back to the scratch.
2. Upgrade experimentally on a sub domain first to identify and fix any potential issue you may face before hitting live.
3. We are here to help you, don't be scared Big Grin
Sub domain? How do I do that?

I have already backed up my database, but I have to double check how to do the hosted files.
You can create a subdomain inside your CPanel hosting, though it is quite easy.
Steps -
In the Domains section and click on Subdomains.
Type in the name of the subdomain and select the domain and click create Wink

Now create a backup of your database and keep it safe.

Now after that copy all your files to the subdomain and change the board settings and cookies settings in settings.php. Verify everything by logging into Admin CP and change Board settings inside Admin CP.

Once everything is done, start upgrade process. Smile
Do I just make up a subdomain or something?

I'm currently trying to backup my website in my Cpanal, but I'm having a few issues. For one thing I have this text at the top of the page.

Quote:Error from MySQL query: (XID tstugq) The system received an error from the “MySQL” database “mysql”: 1827 (The password hash doesn't have the expected format. Check if the correct password algorithm is being used with the PASSWORD() function.) Error from MySQL query: (XID qc3tmh) The system received an error from the “MySQL” database “mysql”: 1827 (The password hash doesn't have the expected format. Check if the correct password algorithm is being used with the PASSWORD() function.) The system could not perform “GRANT” statements for the user “masterrp” due to errors: (XID tstugq) The system received an error from the “MySQL” database “mysql”: 1827 (The password hash doesn't have the expected format. Check if the correct password algorithm is being used with the PASSWORD() function.), (XID qc3tmh) The system received an error from the “MySQL” database “mysql”: 1827 (The password hash doesn't have the expected format. Check if the correct password algorithm is being used with the PASSWORD() function.)

I'm not sure what that's about. I've also tried to do a full backup, but there is this message.

Quote:WARNING: Your account is TOO LARGE   (Over 10gb)   for cPanel backups.

Its not clear to me if that includes the database backup that it seems to auto generate with in my website. My site is about 9 years old. Currently I'm downloading a "Home Directory" backup. I see I also have "MySQL Database", "Email Forwarders", and "Email Filters".

Edit: Well I figured out how to make subdomains, but I still want to know about the other stuff.
> WARNING: Your account is TOO LARGE (Over 10gb) for cPanel backups.

Contact your host. Probably they have imposed some limitations on database backup.
Have you tried backing up your database from within MyBB ACP?
Yes, I have. I found this threat with instructions on how to do that. However I wasn't sure which backup did the coding.

Okay, I was reading the instructions on how to update my system and I downloaded the latest version. I noticed it was compressed. Am I suppose to extract it before uploading it to my website?
(2021-03-01, 05:03 PM)Negima Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, I have. I found this threat with instructions on how to do that. However I wasn't sure which backup did the coding.

Okay, I was reading the instructions on how to update my system and I downloaded the latest version. I noticed it was compressed. Am I suppose to extract it before uploading it to my website?

Yes unless you have the ability to extract from whatever you are using for FTP.  In Cpanel's file manager you can, but I'm not sure what else allows it.
I found out how to make subdomains in HostGator. Just to be clear it will create a clone of my website that I could practice updating on without it effecting the main site? The tutorial video they gave me was pretty simple.

Okay I contacted my host's support and I'm in the process of cloning my site for the test run. However the file is rather large so its taking some time. Admittedly the agent wasn't to familiar with MyBB, but our best guess is all the backups of my database is making it quite large, which prevents me from doing a full backup.

I'm talking about the backups MyBB seems to auto generate in Database Backup under Tools & Maintenance. I seem to have a few hundred in there dating back to 2013 and ranging from 11 to 48 GB. I was wondering if it would be okay to delete the older ones.

Okay, new problem. I tried cloning my website by compressing everything in public_html, moving it to my subdomain, and extracting it. I did this with the help of my host's tech support. However when I go to my subdomain I don't get a copy and instead see a bunch of links for my host; cPanel login, webmail login, getting started, etc. Before I contact my host again is there anything I should do? I checked and all my files seem to have been copied over to my subdomain folder. Is there anything I should do before calling my host again?

The good news is that my main domain doesn't seem effected.
I am wondering something here...

When you uncompressed the backup into that subdomain, did you change the URL to reflect the subdomain route?

If you tried to keep it identical, it won't work until you actually change the paths in the Settings.php.

For example...

Current website: mydomain.com
Subdomain website: mydomain.com\subdomain\

If that is not fixed in the Settings.php, you won't be able to access anything.

That's the 1st place I would look at before driving yourself crazy.
Pages: 1 2 3