MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Downloading threads
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I was wondering if there was some way to download individual threads into a format I could read on my computer. I'm in some danger of losing my site due to technical issues and have debated pulling the plug myself due to lack of activity. Before I start trying to fix the issue I was hoping to have some way of saving a few key threats as they have been around for a while and I used one of them as the basic for a series of stories I was writing and wanted to keep them as reference. Ideally saving the colored text, as I used different colors to indicate different things.
You can make a backup in the Admin CP under Tools. You can select whatever tables you want or all of them.
If there aren't too many, you could just click through them and use your browser's "Save Page As..." feature on each.

Otherwise, if it's only your own posts you're interested in, my Export Posts plugin might be of use. I'm not aware of a plugin to download threads but it's a good idea for one.

Another possibility: back up your forum's database and files and install a local mirror of them.

Perhaps others will have other ideas...
I'm afraid the threat in question has over 3,000 pages. It started as a role play nine years, but we developed the characters and world enough to make a story based on it. Its too bad there is no easy way to do this.
I do have an external tool that would theoretically be perfect for this, I just haven't added MyBB support yet:

https://creativeandcritical.net/fups
What fields do you need?

- Username
- parsed message
- time
- anything else?

Also do you want it as a .html file or json format?

Laird and I will be working together to make this plugin for the community. It will be open source and free.
I would largely just need the user name and parsed message. The date and time are unnecessary as long they are in order. There are links here and there, but I suppose I could do without them.

FYI I'm still on 1.6.15, which is one of the issues.
I presume you would want oldest first as that would make the most sense given it is a role play type of thing.
Yes, I would. I could do that manually, but given the number of pages it would take me at least a month and I need to update the site today to be safe. I really should of looked into this early last month when I got the email from my host.
(2021-03-01, 10:00 PM)Negima Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, I would. I could do that manually, but given the number of pages it would take me at least a month and I need to update the site today to be safe. I really should of looked into this early last month when I got the email from my host.

@dragonexpert had the idea to create a new plugin to do this, and he invited me to collaborate. It's still early days, and the plugin and its output are a bit rough, but it might just be enough for your immediate needs:

https://github.com/dragonexpert/downloadthread
Pages: 1 2