MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MyBB has experienced an internal error and cannot continue - site down after upgrade
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've upgraded the board from 1.6.10 to 1.8.25 and now can't get in any of the site.  

Plugins were disabled before running the upgrade.
There were no errors during the upgrade.
I can't get into any of the pages or the admincp - i get a MyBB has experienced an internal error and cannot continue. 

I can get to the settings.php file but I don't know what setting to change or what to change it to to turn on logging to try to find more errors.  

I did read the upgrade document prior and did the steps listed.  
The site currently only has .htaccess to me so everyone else is blocked, but I can add an IP address if anyone can help me out.
It's the "errortypemedium" setting, change the value from "none" to "both".
(2021-03-02, 12:28 AM)Matt Wrote: [ -> ]It's the "errortypemedium" setting, change the value from "none" to "both".
$settings['errorloglocation'] = "./error.log";
$settings['errorlogmedium'] = "none";
$settings['errortypemedium'] = "both";

That's already set.
Strange, okay, can you edit ./inc/class_error.php, and change line 125:

public $force_display_errors = false;

to:

public $force_display_errors = true;
(2021-03-02, 12:44 AM)Matt Wrote: [ -> ]Strange, okay, can you edit ./inc/class_error.php, and change line 125:

public $force_display_errors = false;

to:

public $force_display_errors = true;

My lines 120 to 134 of that file look like this:

/**
* Initializes the error handler
*/
function __construct()
{
// Lets set the error handler in here so we can just do $handler = new errorHandler() and be all set up.
$error_types = E_ALL;
foreach($this->ignore_types as $bit)
{
$error_types = $error_types & ~$bit;
}
error_reporting($error_types);
set_error_handler(array(&$this, "error"), $error_types);
}
Okay that might explain it, that's the file from 1.6 still. Are you sure you overwrote all the files?
(2021-03-02, 12:57 AM)Matt Wrote: [ -> ]Okay that might explain it, that's the file from 1.6 still. Are you sure you overwrote all the files?

Yes, but I can restore and try again.  Would that be the best bet?
It'd probably be fine to just upload the files again for now. When you ran the upgrade script, when you picked the version number from the dropdown can you remember if it showed a list of lots of other versions of 1.8 as well? Just wondering if maybe the upgrade script uploaded and ran fine (so the database is upgraded) and it's just a files issue. It may be cleaner to restore the 1.6 backup, upload the files again, and run the upgrade again.
I have done this several times now:  Restored Database and All Files

- ensuring that I have uploaded all the files/folders from the Upload Directory to my Forum directory using SCP and overwriting the existing; however, I am frought with errors.  For example on the Admin page it definitely looks new, but it says I'm still running 1.6.10.

Trying to get into Preferences I get the DB error.

Looking at the Settings.php - they are set to "both"
$settings['errorloglocation'] = "./error.log";
$settings['errorlogmedium'] = "none";
$settings['errortypemedium'] = "both";

Go to the class_error.php - it still looks like the previous version.

Would my next step be to delete everything from the forum folder and re-upload, which would essentially remove anything that was previously in the folder(s) that might not be getting updated correctly?
Does it give any output that the uploads failed? Is there any file level caching on your server? Any strange file permissions set? The version number comes directly from ./inc/class_core.php so if it's still saying 1.6.10, it looks like a bunch of files just aren't being overwritten.

You could delete everything first I suppose, but it really shouldn't be necessary, however at this point you may as well give that a go. You'd need to reupload the ./uploads/ folder afterwards if you did that.

I'd also strongly suggest upgrading your PHP version too after this is sorted, 5.3 is very old and MyBB can support PHP 7.4.