MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Setting up a cloned subdomain
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I tried to copy my website to a subdomain to I could practice upgrading it. However I failed to create a duplicate of my forum. I couldn't copy the files exactly, so my host's tech support compressed everything in public_html and told me to move it to my subdomain and extract it once it had finished. The file size stopped growing after a while so I did as I was told, assuming it had finished. I gave it plenty off leeway waiting for it to change before doing so. However when I went to the subdomain I got a set up page for my host. Its not clear to me if I need to contact Hostgator or someone here. Their tech support is not normally familiar with MyBB, so I can't count on them for help on that end and the guy didn't say anything about what to do after that as far as I could remember, so I'm fairly certain they can't help anymore, but not 100%.

I'm rather tight on time as I need to do this before I go to sleep. I needed to do this last month as sometime this week my current version of PHP will no longer be supported. So sorry about posting another threat about this so soon but I'm running out of time.
If you're getting a setup page from the host it'll be a hosting query. It's not even hitting the files so there's nothing we can do. Has the subdomain been set up in cPanel, and have you added the new DNS record for it?
I'm afraid I haven't. I only copied the files. I don't know how to set up a new DNS record. The subdomain was set up in cPanel, but I likely didn't do any of the necessary changes for the new domain.
you need to make changes in subdomain dns without proper configuration its impossible to fix,

access to you CP and in domain section choose DNS settings
Are talking about the host's CP or the MyBB Admin CP? I can't seem to find "DNS settings" the former and the latter is unacceptable. When I search Hostgator's cPanel I found "Simple Zone Editor", "Advance Zone Editor", and "DNS Tool", and "Track DNS". I'm afraid I can't figure out how to use them. I was able to find DNS_cache in the file manager, but I have no idea how to edit that. I would of thought DNS Tool would of been what I was looking for, but I can't even select my subdomain in that.

Currently when I try to access my subdomain I just get "Index of /" page with some links, some are images and some to be files I don't understand or are inaccessible.

PS: I also didn't copy everything from my public_html folder like I thought. For some reason certain folders are missing. I could try copying over the others in the file manager, as I've figured out how to do that now. Although at this point it would be time consuming.

Keep in mind I'm still on MyBB version 1.6 and this was an attempt to test run the update for 1.8 before I do something that might break my site.
We don't know where your DNS settings will be as it depends how your domain is configured. It'll be wherever you originally set up the DNS for your domain to point to your server, but is most likely either the section you found in cPanel, or your domain registrar.

If you're getting an Index page though it sounds like maybe you have a wildcard DNS entry and it's already pointing to the server. Can you post you forum's URL and the subdomain you're trying to use, I'll be able to see if they're pointing to the same place.

cPanel's file manager should have the option to just copy entire folders which should do what you need.