MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Error on Private message
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello, 
Please help. 
Since yesterday, the user on my forum can not access the private message page. 
It just shows the blank page. 
I did not touch or modify the web site for a while . 
I messaged the host but they can not help. 
Where should I start ? 
I am running MyBB version 1.6 (it is old version but I am not comfortable to upgrade it) 
Thank You very much
Strictly speaking we can't really support 1.6 here any more, as 1.8 had its first release 6 and a half years ago.

All I can really suggest is to edit ./inc/settings.php, set the 'no_plugins' setting to 1, which will stop all plugins being loaded, and see if that has any effect. If it does, you'll need to deactivate plugins one by one. If it doesn't, see if there are any errors logged in an error_log file in your file system, or in a log in your hosting control panel.
Thank You very much .
Do you where /who that I can get help to update to the new version?
Thank You
Right here Smile

We have a guide here: https://docs.mybb.com/1.8/install/upgrade/

The short version is:

- Back up your database and files
- Disable all plugins (they will need newer versions for 1.8 and your theme will need updating too)
- Upload the 1.8 files over the 1.6 files
- Run the upgrade script
- You'll then be able to upload upgraded versions of plugins and upgrade the theme
Thank You Matt. I have some custom codes that I changed over the time . I 'm worry it will be messed ụp
Not sure how far back the file verification feature goes. But in 1.8, you can go to ACP / Tools and Maintenance and click on the left hand side link for file verification. That will identify modified core files. There are programs that will compare two text files and show the differences. In Ubuntu, I use a program called Meld. Others are available for other operating systems.

Then, you can export the theme. Say No to include customized css and stylesheets, say yes to customized templates. Do this for the MyBB Master Style theme so you have a baseline to compare to. The exported theme files will identify modified templates. You can go to ACP / Templates and Styles and click on link for Templates. Click on one of your modified themes. In each grouping, expand the group to show the templates within that group, and modified templates are identified in a different color. Click on the Options button to the right and select Diff Report. That will show you how the template differs from the default one.

This process is tedious, but will help you identify and document changes made over time, so you can choose how you want to proceed to update your forum.

Those are likely to be the only mods, well, those plus plugins. What's left to change? Besides reasons of unable to support 1.6, there are security reasons to upgrade, and hosting platforms are starting to drop support for old PHP versions on their servers.
Thank You very much.
I will try it someday ... when I feel brave enough :-)
If anyone knows someone could help me, please let me know
Thank You all