MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Deleting Backups
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I get the feeling I know the answer already, but I can just delete most of the backups from my admin CP without any issues, keeping only the more recent ones. They have been collecting since 2013 when I took over the site and I'm afraid I wasn't aware of them until recently. An issue is that my site is too large to make a full backup from my host's CP, which I feel I will need it I screw up the update I'm trying to do. I've got to fix a few things and I just want confirmation, largely about my belief that the over 100 backups is what caused my site to inflate so much. I just hope deleting them in mass won't cause issues with my hosting system, as I had a similar issue before when I deleted a bunch of old threats.
I would, except you might want to download and keep some for snapshots of the various stages of your site.

For what its worth, I cleaned up our page in a similar fashion before taking on a major upgrade (1806 - 1821) last year.  But didn't have anywhere near 100's.  If you can, I'd start with only a few.  To get a sense of how your host  / web panel handles deleted files.  In my panel (directadmin 1.61.5), I can specify permanent vs trashcan.  Deleting to trash probably won't help your space issues at all.

Also for what it's worth, changed my backup to overwrite the archive going forward.  But your mileage will vary - depends on what you want.  Before changes, I download and keep the tar file for archival purposes.  I can recreate locally our board at every major stage since I came on board.  And download the current backup at least 4 times a month.  Overkill?  Maybe. Angel

Finally assuming you mean deleted a bunch of old threads, when you say "deleted a bunch of old threats".  That would be a database thing.  We've done cleanups to clear out nonviable threads (broken links etc).  My best advice without knowing your setup - don't take on too many at a time.  You'll stress your database utilisation if you do.

cheers...
Snapshots? It you mean keeping some backups from father apart on my computer?

Its good to know about the trashcan thing. I'll have to avoid that, since its counterproductive for what I want to do. Thanks for the tips.
I take backups every hour through cron..It's better that way and also very efficient.

The previous backup gets replaced by the old one.
(2021-03-06, 12:15 PM)nixer55 Wrote: [ -> ]For what its worth, I cleaned up our page in a similar fashion before taking on a major upgrade (1806 - 1821) last year.  But didn't have anywhere near 100's.  If you can, I'd start with only a few.  To get a sense of how your host  / web panel handles deleted files.  In my panel (directadmin 1.61.5), I can specify permanent vs trashcan.  Deleting to trash probably won't help your space issues at all.

I'm still on 1.6.15 and I'm trying to free up space before upgrading. I had deleted a couple of old backups, but there doesn't seem to be any indication of them going to a trash can or not. I just get a message that says "The backup has been deleted successfully." at the top of the page. I've only done a few so far and I forgot to write down the current size of my website before starting, so I don't know if its working or not.

PS: The auto backup seems to make one every week as it stands.
Deleting them from the ACP won't send them to any trash, deleting the files directly from your hosting control panel might do depending on the the settings of the file manager.