MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Discuss: MyBB 1.8.26 Released — Security Release
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm not sure if this was just my experience or something was off, but it tried to default to version 1.8.23 as my version I was upgrading from even though I was already on 1.8.25.
(2021-03-10, 11:51 PM)dragonexpert Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not sure if this was just my experience or something was off, but it tried to default to version 1.8.23 as my version I was upgrading from even though I was already on 1.8.25.
 i think that is just a little bug , i also faced that same problem.

anyway upgraded to latest version.
(2021-03-10, 11:51 PM)dragonexpert Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not sure if this was just my experience or something was off, but it tried to default to version 1.8.23 as my version I was upgrading from even though I was already on 1.8.25.

(2021-03-11, 03:12 AM)PARADOXP Wrote: [ -> ]i think that is just a little bug , i also faced that same problem.

anyway upgraded to latest version.

i noticed that also while fresh install worked fine

upgrade script is still suggesting upgrade from 1.8.23 thus prompting to upgrade to 1.8.25 while already on existing 1.8.25 thus failing 

first thing I noticed on the quickest glance is :

inc/class_core.php

still had 1.8.25 / 1825

above I am talking about my download file issue

below I am talking about completely diff issue about how upgrade files even if on an overwrite and go upgrade where still applied in versions prior to 24:

then in install resources

while upgrade51.php => from x.x.23  is present

it appears at bare minimum if following previous longtime release structure and patterns the following should be present but are not present at least at the barest minimum ie:

upgrade52.php =>  from x.x.24  is not present

upgrade53.php => from x.x.25 is not present

upgrade54.php => from x.x.26 is not present

But i assume they are not there for a reason so I did not even try to look further yet after simply seeing that on the quickest glance

but that regardless of  upgrade procedure got me thinking back for a sec ( about change in how its been done)

and this below is by overwrite upgrade procedure once realizing my download source had issue  (this is talking again about my download issue that has been resolved)

but, how I got it to upgrade was simply changing the inc/class_core.php that was incorrect in my download package

that still had 1.8.25 / 1825

to 1.8.26 / 1826

so yeah, back to the issue that was bugging me, while I am not actually pressing upgrade I already know the reason why the overwrite files upgrade had issues and as I explain it was because of my download of which I also explain was then corrected and that is not the  point I am was ever trying to point out, on the contrary the point was to mention an noticeable change in how something had been done over and over  and only stopped in the last few versions and is something that simply got me thinking back on that:

and I am stating this on purpose to point out a visible change I notice in the last few versions from how it has been handled in the past:

mkay..... * again this is intentional due to the thought bugging me about how this was handled and now apparently ignored

I then since it was still bugging me that it was suggesting I upgrade from 1.8.23 when there are now 3 versions after that, grrrr!!! regardless if there was no need to run upgrade script, it still bugged me because that is not how it has been done in the past as can easily be pointed out and shown and that is what bugged me, a lil OCD thought but yeah, lol

So I created 52 & 53 similar like upgrade51.php => from x.x.23:

upgrade52.php =>  from x.x.24

<?php
/**
 * MyBB 1.8
 * Copyright 2014 MyBB Group, All Rights Reserved
 * License: http://www.mybb.com/about/license
 */

/**
 * Upgrade Script: 1.8.24
 */

$upgrade_detail = array(
    "revert_all_templates" => 0,
    "revert_all_themes" => 0,
    "revert_all_settings" => 0
);

@set_time_limit(0);

/* Nothing to do for 1.8.24 */

upgrade53.php => from x.x.25

<?php
/**
 * MyBB 1.8
 */

/**
 * Upgrade Script: 1.8.25
 */

$upgrade_detail = array(
);

@set_time_limit(0);

/* Nothing to do for 1.8.25 */

and yeah I guess I could have lazily instead just edited upgrade51.php => from x.x.23 to compensate for the missing 52 (1824) and 53 (1825) files say and do it all in the existing 51 for .23:

instead of existing:

<?php
/**
 * MyBB 1.8
 */

/**
 * Upgrade Script: 1.8.23
 */

$upgrade_detail = array(
);

@set_time_limit(0);

/* Nothing to do for 1.8.23 */

to:

<?php
/**
 * MyBB 1.8
 */

/**
 * Upgrade Script: 1.8.23 or 1.8.24 or 1.8.25
 */

$upgrade_detail = array(
);

@set_time_limit(0);

/* Nothing to do for 1.8.23 or 1.8.24 or 1.8.25 */

or if not existing in as above in file: update51.php

then simply only add one update file for .24 & .25 instead:

file: update52.php

as:

<?php
/**
 * MyBB 1.8
 */

/**
 * Upgrade Script: 1.8.24 or 1.8.25
 */

$upgrade_detail = array(
);

@set_time_limit(0);

/* Nothing to do for 1.8.24 or 1.8.25 */

* but both of those options deviated from what I am used to seeing as far as structure and seemed lazy regardless if it was addressing missing & expected.. thus for me I made the individual files 52 and 53 for my needs...

and did so because i made the assumption that maybe they were never added because just like x.x.23 forward maybe no significant upgrade instructions were needed thus maybe never felt the need to even to define basics as these either like it was in x.x.23 but as it was annoying me i simply did so...

anyhoo, after doing such to cure my minor annoyances it gave me the option that cured my ocd and also upgraded for me just fine (* meaning the menu items were as they once used to be supplied in releases regardless of of how version was updated)

(* again below this is about how my download file was an initial issue) (* also funny is that during most of writing this i was jumping from typing something back to viewing the last few versions in mybb github repo to see exactly what i was then trying to mention, hahaha, thus perhaps why my jumping around in thoughts and discussion)

strangely enough just for my curious sake as I was like hmm, that is strange that the file I downloaded still had 1.8.25 / 1825 in class_core so maybe I had a download issue so I went and downloaded the package at mybb.com again and at github repo again and for some strange reason then those packages now had inc/class_core.php with 1.8.26 / 1826 in them where strangely my initial downloaded package did not before so I am not sure if my initial issue was simply a download pkg glitch or not and maybe say the pkg was recently updated since my last download, dunno, but strange, lol

(* and is explained again here and mentioned again here as to make clear the fact that my download issue was sorted what I was then soon to discuss again was related to the still only point and issue bugging me

mkay, download issue then sorted out and replacing all files with fresh download I applied to another localhost forum....

note: but that still did not change the fact that on upgrade (regardless if I know it is an overwrite upgrade, this is intentional to point out something observed that in all past version that say had an overwrite and go upgrade route there was still a defined upgrade menu item regardless) it prompt 1.8.23 due to missing such files for 1.8.24 & 1.8.25  of such that have seemed to be neglected to be added in release pkgs since .23  and those files while even if not really defined to do anything are still needed for the upgrade option menu

in case people forgot, those parts below define the upgrade menu option no matter how defined so if file is not included/missing then yes there will be no menu item as seen such since 1823

/**
 * Upgrade Script: 1.8.24 or 1.8.25
 */

regardless of say the fact that the last few updates have been simply replacing files eventually the menu option will say in a few more of this simply overwrite with new files and go updates then say an update that requires more dbs changes or whatever and the system of the update menu will be something like

/**
 * Upgrade Script: 1.8.27
 */

for example and so far the last defined is:

/**
 */

thus why I was thinking 23 to 27 is a big jump on the menu, perhaps doing (k.i.s.s) like 51 as well as several others to list in past versions to keep uniformity until such event might be nice and this is NOT a new concept if you actually look back through various phases of mybb releases the very same has been applied as I am pointing out and suggesting, just for example 1.8.16 - 1.8.20 upgrade files just for one of the few other examples easily seen of even in times of say overwrite and and go updates those barebones upgrade files have been added for such version menu item, so why now ignoring that standard?

(resolution for me: being resolved manually by adding them thus the upgrade option menu will have versions after 23 listed and yeah even if it is a minor detail the point to me is such should be there for uniformity but, eh, whatevs)  Wink

oh, another thing that had me curious is since 1824:

in /install/resources/mybb_theme.xml

<theme name="MyBB Master Style" version="1824">

why did that not get changed at the very least in 25 and now in 26? as theme version is still set at 24 when we are at 26 *again perhaps thinking on uniformity factor?

other thing that had me curious is why previous meta 24 (1823 is edited to 1824) was not then applied again in the process of meta 25 as meta 25 (1824 is edited to 1825)? and then such again as meta 26 (1825 is edited to 1826) as because if you then look later at commit meta 27 as (1826 is edited to 1827) there should have been? but if you look at release 25, release 26 and or just the changed files for either, neither have such edits, but they are present to be edited from (1826 to 1827) in meta 27 commit, but again, dunno, i guess there was a reason... perhaps.., or maybe it was just a rushed release as that seems to make the most sense as maybe the existing planned changes in 1826 repo were pushed to 27 simply to compensate for the rush to drop a 1826 security release off 1825 files thus pushing existing 1826 changes in repo on hold til 27, dunno, no worries, ocd simply got a lil curious again, haha

anyhoo, I find actually reading curbs some comments missing the point just as I often find that by reading one often also finds the point, food for thought. Wink
Thank you MyBB! The upgrade was smooth.
Note, there is no need to run the upgrade script!
Just replace the files.

[ETS]
(2021-03-11, 09:09 AM)[ExiTuS] Wrote: [ -> ]Note, there is no need to run the upgrade script!
Just replace the files.

[ETS]

This is correct, the upgrade script doesn't need to be used.
The upgrade system's old version select list is generated by collecting sets of changes stored as install/resources/upgrade*.php upgrade files, which contain version numbers they apply to.

Currently, when install/upgrade.php is unnecessarily run (and there is no change set to be applied), the page doesn't indicate that, and the last set of changes that was added to the script — and run on the board — may be selected as the old version (in this case: 1.8.23, containing changes to setup 1.8.24; there were no change sets for 1.8.25 nor 1.8.26).

Nonetheless, selecting older source versions during the upgrade shouldn't cause any problems.

The install/resources/upgrade*.php upgrade files may contain specific code to be run, but the upgrade system always implicitly rebuilds data related to templates, settings and the datacache. Therefore, MyBB versions that contain modified templates or settings always introduce a new file, which may not contain any additional code.
The upgrade number, incremented with each change set, is also saved into the version_history datacache (which may be previewed in the ACP's Tools & Maintenance → Cache Manager), allowing MyBB to recognize whether a required upgrade still needs to be executed.

For example, at the time of writing, the planned 1.8.27 maintenance release will require the upgrade system to be run, and the same changes will be needed for boards running 1.8.24, 1.8.25, and 1.8.26 (which do not differ as far as the upgrade system is concerned).

Note that running updates with custom upgrade files may result in unexpected behavior (e.g. incorrect version pre-selected during future upgrades).

We will be looking into clarifying the existing Docs article on upgrading and into potential improvements to make the process easier.

The next maintenance release should address the problem of obscure errors, which are supposed to prompt administrators to either use or remove the install/ directory: https://github.com/mybb/mybb/issues/4156

(2021-03-11, 03:42 AM)censor_deeznutz Wrote: [ -> ]
<theme name="MyBB Master Style" version="1824">

why did that not get changed at the very least in 25 and now in 26?
Version attributes of themes, stylesheets, templates, language packs, <script> and <link> tags, etc. are only changed when the content is modified, and contain the version code corresponding to the MyBB version that introduced the modifications.

Quote:other thing that had me curious is why previous meta 24 (1823 is edited to 1824) was not then applied again in the process of meta 25 as meta 25 (1824 is edited to 1825)? and then such again as meta 26 (1825 is edited to 1826) as because if you then look later at commit meta 27 as (1826 is edited to 1827) there should have been?

If you're looking for post-release cleanup commits:
Hotfix releases addressing security issues may be based on the last stable version, and thus may not contain changes applied within development branches on GitHub, which was the case for 1.8.24, 1.8.25, and 1.8.26. After such releases, the development branch is synchronized by merging in non-public changes.
(2021-03-11, 05:24 PM)Devilshakerz Wrote: [ -> ]....

@ devilshakerz

sorry for the delay in response but I have been busy and just got a few free moments just now to read such so thank you for the informative response, I tend to enjoy those without a doubt, and hopefully you can see why I was trying to make the points I was making because while yes, as all the things you describe are factual and reality based, the fact does remain that  how this has been implemented in the past and up til 23 has been the exact same as I have described and can easily prove by pointing to such usage in various release throughout mybb releases ie of a few bare-bones upgrade files: 1.8.5, 1.8.9, 1.8.10, 1.8.11, 1.8.16, 1.8.17, 1.8.18, 1.8.19, 1.8.20, 1.8.23, etc, etc as there are more examples of such, hence my pointing out that it changed in the last few versions and my wondering as to why the choice to change such when in other examples exactly like this release it was done as described. And also now that we see many examples , then we can simply ask ourselves ok, was there ever a gap in such or a gap in the menu item each bare-bones places when such usage, oh there is ? and when is that? only in the last few version, mkay, thus the point. *

* i mean, at the very least, rather than ommit such if say time was a concern factor or even say the desire to add any additional bare-bones upgrade files ie: 52 & 53 was not desired, well still, even the laziest route could have still been applied to existing 51:

existing 51: upgrade51.php

<?php
/**
 * MyBB 1.8
 */

/**
 */

$upgrade_detail = array(
);

@set_time_limit(0);

/* Nothing to do for 1.8.23 */

lazy type updated: upgrade51.php

<?php
/**
 * MyBB 1.8
 */

/**
 * Upgrade Script: 1.8.23 or 1.8.24 or 1.8.25
 */

$upgrade_detail = array(
);

@set_time_limit(0);

/* Nothing to do for 1.8.23 or 1.8.24 or 1.8.25 */

thus maintaining the no gap in vers menu item standard listing and packaged it up and called it a day, but, eh...

* again hopefully you understand what I am trying to get across and understand I am merely sharing my thoughts as such as to me the lack of similar such when always present prior made and makes absolutely no sense the last few versions as far as my thinking on such is/was concerned, haha.

secondly, while I hear you on the theme version, that also has not seemed to always be the case because in several versions where no real apparent changes have been made via upgrade script the theme version has been upgraded in resources ie: mybb_theme.xml, even if it is just a small meta commit for vers and as a longtime theme dev I tend to remember those times (well regardless, I tend to remember most things mybb related since the early 2000s till now, as well as say variant working experiences still adding to mybb memories and knowledge, like times with litesoft, litebulletin, daddyobb, etc, etc, also so thus I may tend to think about and or ask about things the average user may not think about or ask about as it has been a long strange learning trip since the early 2000s with mybb indeed, haha, but back to the subject at hand) because theme version # changes still require a new theme release by theme authors even if there really are not many core template/theme changes beyond version #, i can think of several examples when one security release comes out and we have a new theme version, then shortly after the next mybb release version comes out and bam another requiring theme devs to factor for a new theme version, but by looking at code and release notes seeing that no real major upgrades were made at that time to the theme before new theme version implemented thus why and where I am pointing out also that many time we had a new theme version with no major changes and keep at least at the minimum the core theme version matched with core release version only making sense, as such can become confusing when it falls several versions behind release version #,  ie: if the mybb version is this # then minimum theme version should match this # to again clarify, ok, I have this version of mybb, now find matching theme for this version # ( and we are talking overall theme version  not say encompassed template versions) and without such say matching software ver # and theme ver # I can see where released themes can become confusing or fall behind, also the average end user isn't most likely taking the time to dig through code to go, oh, hey, while we are on 24, 25, 26, etc, etc the theme is still back at 24 as the logical assumption most user will make is hey i am on 24 so i need a 24 theme, i am on 25 so i need a 25 theme, I am on 26, so i need a 26 theme, as you can see where longtime expectations of how it has been done tends to throw end users for a loop when then all of a sudden those standards are ignored for several versions, only to be suggested in replies that at some point it will go back to such when an update requires a more than bare-bones upgrade script, when in fact in the past no such question or reply would of been required because regardless of a requirement for bare-bones upgrade file or extensive upgrade file there was no question it was as a standard included in each release no matter the format of update, again, these are kinda some of the points I was trying to make in first post and point out where to me ignoring such seemed primarily maybe just preference or say rushing a release and ignoring minor details that have been such a way release after release, etc, etc, or just for the benefit of doubt maybe say just simply forgot those files or such, because if awareness is there that the practices have been in plenty of previous versions, it simply seems that they were ignored or forgotten intentionally until such a time as they are though to be needed again ie: when the file has more that bare-bones for upgrade and to me that seems slacking because it did not matter previously if the file was bare-bones or a full upgrade file it was still implemented as standard practice in every single release, and if reply is now well yes that is the old way but as soon as we have full upgrade file say for example in 27 or whatever is planned then such standard will be used again, when that in itself is saying yes we know the standard but we are now choosing to when we implement such and when we ignore it when that seems more like meh, the few minutes it takes to add those minor bare-bones files, eh, nah, ignore such standard usage, but, when we need to add more to say a bare-bones upgrade file thus ya know the dbs changes function added to the standard bare-bones upgrade file that we previously have been ignoring the value of usage for the last few releases, then yeah we will start using such again as then it has value, again probably in a coming release, umm, yeah, again hopefully that makes sense and why I took the time to write about and share valid points and describe and discuss the apparent change in how things are done since 23 on and why it at least bugged me enough to discuss it... and why in reality each point I have attempted to make the thought remaining in the back of my mind is that each one of these tasks only takes a few minutes if even that to finalize before a release package is packaged and released, again simply just sharing simple thoughts on the matter, regardless, thank you for the time you took for your explanations, I tend to appreciate such from folks. Smile
Well for me, this was a pretty good upgrade. No template changes made me happy Big Grin
Pages: 1 2