MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Force IP to display as simple IPv4 to admins/mods?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My staff and I greatly prefer being able to see an IP in IPv4 format because of how easily you can remember the patterns or compare what's on one screen to another without much confusion.  The same can't be said about IPv6 so we'd like to just force the IP that we see on our end to display to us as IPv4 at all times.  Where/how can I make this adjustment?
I don't think that's possible is it? If they've connected with an IPv6 address, that's their IP address. There's exponentially more IPv6 addresses than v4 so I don't think they can be converted, unless I'm missing something?
On other sites those same IPs can display as IPv4, including my own IP address which I've seen appear as both on different sites. I was told it's a matter of if a site is enhanced enough to see IPv6, then it will show them as such... but surely there must be a way to dial that back a notch somehow? I'd be fine with just using IPv4 detection/display methods if possible.
I'm pretty sure it'd be because you've connected from an IPv4 address. There's 4,294,967,296 possible v4 addresses and 340,282,366,920,938,463,463,374,607,431,768,211,456 v6 address so it's impossible to 1:1 map or convert them. You only connect with one IP, not a v4 and a v6 at the same time. They're physically completely different notations.
Yeah I see what you mean.  I was afraid of that but it keeps coming up in discussions I'm in (for years now lol) so I thought I'd finally ask about it.  It's just that when I saw my IP showing up as IPv6 on one site (mine) at the exact time I was showing as IPv4 on another site that NEVER displays any IPv6 addresses, it made me think maybe there's a way to choose after all.  Alrighty, I'll go break the news to my staff! Angel
Hm, it might be that they're trying to parse it? But it's essentially a made up number in that case, and wouldn't resolve to the same place. The whole reason IPv6 exists is we've run out of v4 addresses, so if they could be converted, it wouldn't be any better than v4.

The best analogy I can think of would be like trying to watch a VHS tape on a 4K TV and expecting it to be in 4K - the VHS tape physically doesn't have enough information to display at 4K. Similarly, a IPv6 address can't be represented as a v4 address as it can't store the same amount of data.
You can configure your webserver (apache or nginx) to only allow IPv4.
As actually all internet providers provides you an IPv4, it works. In a few years, it won't Smile