MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Forum access restrictions by member groups?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello! Wondering if there is a way to accomplish this without creating tons of groups?

Our org has state chapters (50 states) and we're looking to allow access to a state chapter forum for only members of that state chapter. i.e. Alaska members would only have access to the Alaska forum, etc. Is there a mod or a way to do this?

Thanks for any suggestions!!
Only way in core would be to have 50 groups and set permissions for each... and I think that's the only reliable way of doing it.

It'd be possible for a plugin to configure permissions based on a custom profile field perhaps, and it would work when the user is logged in, but might not be so robust for areas of the code that check other user's permissions.
wow - thanks for the quick response and info. We'll roll with multiple groups then.
No problem - probably a pain to have so many but from experience with other forum software as well, I think this kind of use-case is more of an exception rather than the rule in terms of how the permissions systems are designed.

I've build a custom permissions plugin before, to set permissions for individual users - it works by loading the default permissions, and then overwriting the values with the custom user ones. The same theory could be used here. However the problem is that the new permissions can only be loaded where there's a plugin hook to use, which means some other functionality that checks permissions that haven't been modified/overwritten, won't work the same way. So there'd probably be holes in things like subscription emails or something.