MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Restoring from backup
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a feeling this is most likely the case, but I wanted to make sure about how the backups work before I try and update my website.

I have Hostgator and it gives me some options regarding backups. I just spoke with tech support and as it turns out while I am able to make a "full backup" I have no way of restoring my website from that myself and it could cost me $25 and up to three days to restore it with that. It also gives me the option to "Download a Home Directory Backup" which I am doing right now and there is the option to upload and restore the Home Directory Backup. I was informed my Home Directory includes everything found in my file manager, which is what I'm about to mess with. Since my host doesn't really know anything about MyBB I wanted to double check and make sure this will restore my site should I screw up the update.

I have also downloaded a database backup from my admin cPanel. My host also has options of downloading backups for "MySQL Database Backup", "Email Forwarders", and "Email Filters." I don't really understand that.

For the record I did not set up the site myself. Someone else did but passed it to me when they could no longer manage it.
It sounds like what they have is some sort of managed backup service where they take backups of their servers, but you have to request a restoration from them as it's all handled by their systems. Charging $25 for it is just a case of them charging money because they can.

The quickest way to take a backup of the files is just to create a zip archive of the public_html folder in cPanel, which you can then download. For databases, you can either use the database backup tool you've already used, or create an export from phpMyAdmin, or there's a database backup tool in the MyBB ACP as well. Then to restore, you'd upload the zip and extract it, and/or reimport the database in phpMyAdmin.
(2021-03-25, 11:30 AM)Matt Wrote: [ -> ]The quickest way to take a backup of the files is just to create a zip archive of the public_html folder in cPanel, which you can then download.

I'm slightly confused about that. The upgrade instructions say to upload the content of the "Upload" folder to my main forum directory. Is that my Home2 folder in my file manager, which contains all other files, or was I suppose to upload them to my public_html folder instead? I wasn't sure what backing up just my public_html folder would do for my purposes, since I'm trying to make a pre-update backup.
(2021-03-26, 12:25 AM)Negima Wrote: [ -> ]I'm slightly confused about that. The upgrade instructions say to upload the content of the "Upload" folder to my main forum directory. Is that my Home2 folder in my file manager, which contains all other files, or was I suppose to upload them to my public_html folder instead? I wasn't sure what backing up just my public_html folder would do for my purposes, since I'm trying to make a pre-update backup.

Depends how your web panel and host is setup.  If your MyBB install is in public_html, those are the files to archive and download before making changes.  Any sort of Home directory backup will have content unrelated to MyBB, but may be the only option you have through your panel backup. 

Your setup sounds like cPanel.  We used that (we have DirectAdmin now) before upgrading from 1806.  I still have a backup from those days, although my memory of exact steps is a little foggy.  It was a "home directory" backup fairly sure - and the archive bears that out.  The tar.gz created included all sorts of stuff unrelated to MyBB, but I can navigate that tarball and find my board files quite easily.  In my case - name-of-backup/homedir/public_html/.  I used those files by manipulating the tarball and extracting what I needed.  Then grabbed a backup of the database and downloaded a copy of that.  MyBB files + database - you have everything you need.  There are nuances to the restore process you should investigate before moving forward.  Nothing worse than having backups, but no strategy for recovery. Undecided

Hosting setups vary, so it's good not to make generalisations.  If in doubt, I'd discuss with your hosting support.  Explain what you want to do.  If any good at all - should be able to advise.

Good luck...
cPanel usually calls the web root public_html - would be a strange setup if your files are in a folder called Home2 and nothing in public_html, but in either case, you can create an archive of wherever your files are.
I have a number of files in Home2, including public_html. I did try and copy my public_html when I tried making a cloned subdomain to test run the update, although that didn't seem to work out. Other folders in my home2 folder include .cpanel, .cphorde, .htpasswds, .security, logs, mail, and others. I can understand if these were all files that came with my host. Everything is in Home2.

As for my public_html, it holds four folders; .well-known, cgi-bin, forums, and one named after my domain, as well as three .htaccessf files and three images. The images seem to be my site's logos and downtime image, which I really should update. My predecessor set those up and they are a bit dated.
Ah okay, so Home2 is the root folder for your account essentially. So you can back up either public_html or just the forums folder - forums folder probably a bit simpler to restore. Is there anything inside the one named after your domain? There probably isn't but just checking.
Another cgi-bin. However that folder is empty.

Where am I uploading the update files to, anyway? Just public_html or one of the folders inside of it?
Wherever your current files are, which by the sound of it is public_html/forums
That is most likely the case. Public_html/forums has dozens of folders in it, including the 1.6 patches I put in when I was still taking decent care of the site.