MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Have some question for newbie
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello guys! I just discoverd MyBB software and I would like to start working with it But I have some question that might sound silly for some but It is not for me  Confused . I want to be sorry for my very bad english first.

1. First i want to run it on local so no else will have access to it. Can i create the forum using MAMP or XAMPP?

2. How does it work with the database? I have zero experience with MySQL and I only use MSSQL and i read that running mybb on mssql is no possible (or am i wrong?). So if I am using my sql through mamp or xampp where is the database stored actually? And how can I create account and DB name for the installation part?

Thanks in advance and again I am sorry for my very bad english  Undecided
1. Yes, you can use MAMP or XAMPP

2. Correct, we don't suppose MSSQL. The database will be stored wherever MAMP/XAMPP install it to, but it usually comes with phpMyAdmin to allow you to create the database, or you could connect with a MySQL GUI application.
Little precision: *AMP (as MAMP, WAMP, LAMP) means *, Apache, MySQL, PHP (where * is an OS architecture, as Windows or Linux).
So any *AMP environment has MySQL as primary DB system.
(2021-03-26, 07:39 PM)Matt Wrote: [ -> ]1. Yes, you can use MAMP or XAMPP

2. Correct, we don't suppose MSSQL. The database will be stored wherever MAMP/XAMPP install it to, but it usually comes with phpMyAdmin to allow you to create the database, or you could connect with a MySQL GUI application.

(2021-03-26, 10:39 PM)Crazycat Wrote: [ -> ]Little precision: *AMP (as MAMP, WAMP, LAMP) means *, Apache, MySQL, PHP (where * is an OS architecture, as Windows or Linux).
So any *AMP environment has MySQL as primary DB system.

This is very helpful , Thank you guys Smile.