MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: SEO tool says "744 pages without a H1 heading"
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
SEO tool I use says that lots of pages in Mybb are without a H1 heading.
How can I generate H1 heading in Mybb's threads? I use sceditor..
Sorry, don't have the answer.  Not sure I'd worry about it anyway.  I know SEO tools say a lot of stuff - whole cottage industry out there.  But level 1 heading tags is not something that maps well to discussion boards IMO.  

Then again, I take SEO in general with a grain of salt.   Much prefer actual content to draw visitors.  Old fashioned I guess. Toungue
(2021-03-28, 07:24 PM)nixer55 Wrote: [ -> ]But level 1 heading tags is not something that maps well to discussion boards IMO. 

+1 for this.
While your journey to find this giant in the darkness you may end up with multiple H1 in a single page, SEO Tool will start complaining again.
Of course heading tags make sense in terms of SEO.
The standard MyBB theme is absolutely not compliant to structured HTML standard design for titles, heading elements etc.
That's a pity. Nevertheless search engines know MyBB and can recognize titles, keywords and other relevant contents.

It is no a big deal to make it fully compliant using heading tags.
For example, you can edit templates and replace class="thead" by <h2> tag.

My recommendation - Edit template "nav_bit_active":
<h1 class="navigation_active">{$navbit['name']}</h1>
This will create a h1 tag for titles on every page of the forum.

Furthermore you can make the postbit template look like this:
<h3 class="post_head"> ... </h3>

[ExiTuS]
When viewing a thread, to add h1 headings for the thread title you could edit showthread templates > showthread. Change the container divs to h1 :

Before :
<div>
    <strong><i class="fa fa-comments"></i> {$thread['threadprefix']}{$thread['subject']}</strong>
</div>

After :
<h1><i class="fa fa-comments"></i>&nbsp; {$thread['threadprefix']}{$thread['subject']}</h1>
H1 tags are important for SEO and for users, because it lets both know what the page is about.

They are pretty much standard on other boards like Invision, and will be stock in the MyBB 1.9 theme.

You can just follow the advice in the previous post to have h1 tags, and you can then style them the way you want by adding a class, <h1 class="h1">
(2021-03-28, 09:37 PM)[ExiTuS] Wrote: [ -> ]My recommendation - Edit template "nav_bit_active":

So basically it will make the word "Result" to be treated as the title for a search result page...

(2021-03-30, 06:57 PM)Ashley1 Wrote: [ -> ]You can just follow the advice in the previous post to have h1 tags, and you can then style them the way you want by adding a class, <h1 class="h1">

Why the class is requited when you can directly target the tag through CSS?