MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Using custom user database
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Can I use a special database?

mydatabase = > users

password method: md5(real password + salt)

[Image: 1620607185760-png.251594]
Quote:Can I use a special database?

mydatabase = > users

password method: md5(real password + salt)

[Image: 1620607185760-png.251594]

What???
Do you want to adapt any users from an existing database into MyBB?

[ExiTuS]
(2021-05-16, 11:17 PM)[ExiTuS] Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:Can I use a special database?
What???
Do you want to adapt any users from an existing database into MyBB?

[ExiTuS]

Why not?
No reply :/
I see at least five difficulties to this possibility:
  1. MyBB uses a different password hashing method than the one you cite for the table you want to use. You could get around this with a plugin that hooked in to MyBB's create_password hook.
  2. MyBB (probably - I don't speak the language used in the image you shared) uses a different table name for its users table. You could get around this by renaming the table you want to use to be compatible with MyBB's table naming (if possible) or by making changes to core code (probably way too many for this approach to be viable).
  3. MyBB's table has more columns than the table you want to use has. You could get around this by adding those missing columns to the table you want to use, and then having whichever application shares the table update those columns appropriately.
  4. MyBB's table uses different names for columns in your table with the same meaning - e.g., your table uses joindate whereas MyBB's users table uses regdate for the semantically equivalent column. You could probably only handle this problem by making changes to MyBB's core code.
  5. MyBB has no knowledge of many of the columns in the table you want to use, so it would not be able to provide values for them by default. I haven't checked to be sure but I suspect that you might be able to handle this problem with a plugin that hooked in to various core MyBB hooks, but potentially this would include changes to MyBB's core code.
It seems unlikely that the effort in solving all of these problems would be worth it, especially given that your core changes would potentially be overwritten each time you upgraded MyBB, but I don't know your situation.