MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Can someone help me with my htaccess file and security?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello there, I just recently started having this problem, so I contacted the host, who said, "Yep, try turning off mod security." I did so, and it appears to have fixed the problem, but I prefer to have the security, you know.

Is the fix described in this thread legit? 

It was discovered! An internet search led us to an old thread with the same problem; changing "htaccess.txt" to ".htaccess" in the mybb folder completely stopped the thing. Implying htaccess.txt is a file on the server?

Thank you in advance for any assistance!

- Shaira
MyBB installation files include a file htaccess.txt as a possible .htaccess for the server.
I would compare the existing file with the text file, and consider which elements to incorporate.
You haven't said what problem occurred recently, so it's only a guess from here.

If you want to just see what happens, rename current .htaccess file to htaccessoriginal, then
rename htaccess.txt to .htaccess

If something gets broken on your server, you can always reverse the process to restore operations.

Consider closing the board for maintenance during this process.
(2021-05-31, 10:54 AM)HLFadmin Wrote: [ -> ]MyBB installation files include a file htaccess.txt as a possible .htaccess for the server.
I would compare the existing file with the text file, and consider which elements to incorporate.
You haven't said what problem occurred recently, so it's only a guess from here.

If you want to just see what happens, rename current .htaccess file to htaccessoriginal, then
rename htaccess.txt to .htaccess

If something gets broken on your server, you can always reverse the process to restore operations.

Consider closing the board for maintenance during this process.
Thank you!!! Your help is much appreciated. Will try it now.  Angel