MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Create a Specific Forum fid
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
If any of you have been to GameFAQ's, I'm sure you know of the "secret" boards that needed you to input a specific ID# to access (because they are hidden from the list of forums).

If someone could make a modification that adds an option to specify a specific fid (and gives an error if it is already in use), I would greatly appreciate it.

I was thinking of just editing it via phpMyAdmin, but I didn't know if it would cause a forum crash once the software eventually got to said fid.
Do you mean by INPUT ID that you put it in the url? example http://mods.mybboard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=X ?
Zaher, I think he means that he wants to be able to create a forum with a specific FID. For example, even though he might only have 10 forums, he wants to create one that would be fid=101010 so that people have to *know* to enter 101010 as the fid in order to find that forum.

Seems an awful lot to go through when he could just password protect it Smile
Oh well my next question to him was to know if he wants everyone to see it or not.

Like prolly it is more like a prestige, a special place, but anyone can view it.

Indeed MyBB can hide any forum from any group you want, it can also protect it with a password.

This fid thingy can be done by the fid using phpmyadmin, there you go to mybb_forums find the forum you want edit its fid. Now you will have to go to the admin cp again, then Manage Forums then just click update forum orders this will rebuild the cache.

Note that any existing threads and posts in this edited forum will be lost, so it is better to start with a new clean forum.

regards
I could have made a new forum + hide it, but I was wanting to do a specific FID that matched some of the more "common" secret forums at GameFAQ's (my old SMF forum did this as a sort of homage).

I was already contemplating doing that via PHPMyAdmin, but I didn't know if it would cause problems later when the forum eventually gets near that number (although I would assume it might just skip it and go to the next one).

When you said posts / etc. were lost, do you mean forum-wide, or just in that specific area?
posts and threads belonging to forum with id X that was changed to Z.
That's why it is better to make a new one empty of threads.