MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: How to add a general new post button
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello all!
I am just starting out with MyBB and I am testing it out on localhost right now. I want to add a "new post" button to the main page that would then prompt the user to select a forum to add the thread to. I want it to look like this forum https://community.datto.com/t5/Professio...n/bd-p/PSA where there is a button that just says "start a discussion" or something like that. 

I have attached a screenshot of my current forum in case that could help. I have searched for plugins that provide this feature but I couldn't find any. As I am a newbie to MyBB, I'd appreciate any advice or information you can provide.
Thank you!  Smile
Hey atek,
The plugin that will allow you to create a new discussion from main page is this one.
https://community.mybb.com/mods.php?acti...w&pid=1461

To create a layout similar to datto, you would need to modify your theme index template(Admin CP > Templates and Styles> Templates> Your Template Name> Index Templates > Index) and remove {$forums} part and replace it with this code

<a class="button" href="new.php"> Start a Discussion </a>

Change the style of button based on your liking.

Regards
WallBB
Thank you so much WallBB! This worked great! I was able to create a new thread from the main page. 
However, a bunch of warning messages showed up when I pressed the "new thread" button. I've attached a screenshot of what it looks like.
Any idea on how to solve this?

[attachment=44224]
[attachment=44222]
[attachment=44223]
change your php version to 7.latest version instead of 8
(2021-07-13, 04:10 PM)PARADOXP Wrote: [ -> ]change your php version to 7.latest version instead of 8

How do I do that? Currently I am using localhost to host the forum so I am not sure how to to change the version of php I am on.
(2021-07-13, 05:43 PM)atek Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-07-13, 04:10 PM)PARADOXP Wrote: [ -> ]change your php version to 7.latest version instead of 8

How do I do that? Currently I am using localhost to host the forum so I am not sure how to to change the version of php I am on.

if yu are using Cpanel Hosting , then go to cpanel there is an option " Select PHP Version " click on it , change PHP version according your need , you are good to go
 [Image: 09IzoD5.png]
(2021-07-15, 05:35 AM)mujeebdgk Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-07-13, 05:43 PM)atek Wrote: [ -> ]

if yu are using Cpanel Hosting , then go to cpanel there is an option " Select PHP Version " click on it , change PHP version according your need , you are good to go
 [Image: 09IzoD5.png]

Thanks for your response. Unfortunately, I do not have cPanel. I am using localhost. Any idea how to do it with localhost? Maybe through phpmyadmin?
The question is - how are you using localhost?  If using a cross-platform app like XAMPP - research that app to find out how.  Many possibilities, depends on what you have and what you need.

Not a one size fits all sort of question and answer.
(2021-07-15, 02:44 PM)nixer55 Wrote: [ -> ]The question is - how are you using localhost?  If using a cross-platform app like XAMPP - research that app to find out how.  Many possibilities, depends on what you have and what you need.

I am using XAMPP
(2021-07-15, 02:46 PM)atek Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-07-15, 02:44 PM)nixer55 Wrote: [ -> ]The question is - how are you using localhost?  If using a cross-platform app like XAMPP - research that app to find out how.  Many possibilities, depends on what you have and what you need.

I am using XAMPP

for downgrade PHP version follow this link 
https://www.devopsschool.com/blog/how-to-downgrade-php-from-8-0-0-to-7-1-32-in-xampp-8-0-0/

i would recommend use SOFTACULOUS as localhost 

https://www.softaculous.com/