MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Updating PHP Version
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
How do I change my PHP version? My host is upgrading their servers and I need to get my PHP to at least 7.4. I have updated MyBB to 1.8.26, but I haven't figured out how to change the PHP. Currently I'm using PHP 5.2.17.

I'm afraid I still have some other issues I need to patch, which I don't know will effect things. My themes are from 1.6 and I have yet to install new ones. I also need to install new security plugins, so I'm not taking new members for the time being.
(2021-07-23, 12:36 AM)Negima Wrote: [ -> ]How do I change my PHP version? My host is upgrading their servers and I need to get my PHP to at least 7.4. I have updated MyBB to 1.8.26, but I haven't figured out how to change the PHP. Currently I'm using PHP 5.2.17.

I'm afraid I still have some other issues I need to patch, which I don't know will effect things. My themes are from 1.6 and I have yet to install new ones. I also need to install new security plugins, so I'm not taking new members for the time being.

Contact your provider hosting for update, or change your ISP
If using cpanel look for multiphp manager inside cpanel to change it.
(2021-07-23, 02:23 AM)Jackson5324 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-07-23, 12:36 AM)Negima Wrote: [ -> ]How do I change my PHP version? My host is upgrading their servers and I need to get my PHP to at least 7.4. I have updated MyBB to 1.8.26, but I haven't figured out how to change the PHP. Currently I'm using PHP 5.2.17.

Contact your provider hosting for update, or change your ISP

I'm not quite sure if that would work. My site went down because they updated and they had to revert it to get it back online. This is a temporary fix, so I need to make sure it doesn't happen again.

(2021-07-23, 04:45 AM)vbgamer45 Wrote: [ -> ]If using cpanel look for multiphp manager inside cpanel to change it.

I looked at that. It said my domain is using PHP 7.4 (ea-php74). Now I'm even more confused. If there is one in my admin cpanel I don't know where it is. My admit dashboard says I'm using 5.2.17.
Might be in your .htaccess file over riding your sites settings. the php version
How would I change that, or even know?
Sometimes it is just a line in the .htacces if you don't know contact your host.
Okay, there is more than one file called .htaccess in my file manager. The first one I found is rather short, only five lines of code. It starts off with "# Use PHP52 as default". I likely shouldn't of put off deal with that. All the text in there seems to be about 52, and the PHP I'm currently using is 5.2.17, which seems likely is the cause. I could give the whole text, but I'm not sure if I should do something like that in public.

Keep in mind I didn't set up my own site, someone else did. However after a few years they weren't able to maintain it and as the most active admin I was given the data, so there are a bunch of files in there I don't know anything about. MyBB was in the 1.6 series at the time.

I'm debating just deleting the file, after downloading it just in case. I could still contact my host.

Okay, I found three other files all starting with .htaccess.phpupgrader in there that all have the same code as the first one. All of them were last modified after I took over the site, if I remember right. One on July 14, which is before I noticed this issue. I had gone away from my site for a little while as other things came up.

Okay, I saw a video explaining how multiphp manager works. It may be that simple, but I do fear that .htaccess file is interfering.
The only one that will be being used is the one just called .htaccess - post the contents here and we can see what to remove.
paste here .htaccess -contend to be sure if agree all answers

Change your ISP