MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: /install showing as plain text
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello, I've been trying to wrap my head around this issue and I just can't find out the solution, I have downloaded the requirements for mybb correctly so I'm unsure what the issue could be - when I try to access the installation file through website/install I just get presented with plane text of the install file.

Any help would be much appreciated!

[Image: SsKx1eE.png]https://imgur.com/SsKx1
According to your website URL, you're running this on a local computer and just call the site in a browser.
That's not possible! You can not run the forum this way.
Of course you need a proper installed webserver (e.g. Apache) with PHP extension installed and a database engine (e.g. MySQL)!

If you want to step into webservers, you can try an XAMPP installation for Windows that includes all packages needed for a local webserver (Apache + PHP + MySQL).
You can also download and install these components seperately and set up all configuration manually. That might be tricky for a newbie. So better go the XAMPP way - nevertheless you must be aware of some configs.

[ExiTuS]
If you are using a web server, it's not configured to handle PHP files. Are you trying to set up a test forum, or host a live one?
(2021-08-18, 08:20 AM)[ExiTuS] Wrote: [ -> ]According to your website URL, you're running this on a local computer and just call the site in a browser.
That's not possible! You can not run the forum this way.
Of course you need a proper installed webserver (e.g. Apache) with PHP extension installed and a database engine (e.g. MySQL)!

If you want to step into webservers, you can try an XAMPP installation for Windows that includes all packages needed for a local webserver (Apache + PHP + MySQL).
You can also download and install these components seperately and set up all configuration manually. That might be tricky for a newbie. So better go the XAMPP way - nevertheless you must be aware of some configs.

[ExiTuS]

Hello,
I have apache installed with the correct extensions including the MySQL database - I called the website through (local):80/installation but I wasn't aware that this was not possible?

The website is also running on a linux machine, I should've stated that in the original post, my apologies.

(2021-08-18, 10:11 AM)Matt Wrote: [ -> ]If you are using a web server, it's not configured to handle PHP files. Are you trying to set up a test forum, or host a live one?

Trying to set up a test forum to see how smooth things go, I've installed apache along with the php extension and php with the required files from https://docs.mybb.com/1.8/install/requirements/ but I wasn't aware there would be further configuration needed?

Before going to the forum though, I did search up questions along the lines of "php showing as plain text" and they returned similar results to what you've said in your reply, I've tried a few ways suggested to allow the apache server to run the php files, but it has been no use and I have faced the same issue each time. Confused
It doesn't seem like Apache is set up properly to actually handle PHP files - our installation guide won't cover setting up the web server itself, you won't be able to run any PHP software currently. Without knowing the exact setup, there won't be much we can suggest, but usually using something like XAMPP is easier as it sets things up for you.
(2021-08-18, 07:50 PM)Matt Wrote: [ -> ]It doesn't seem like Apache is set up properly to actually handle PHP files - our installation guide won't cover setting up the web server itself, you won't be able to run any PHP software currently. Without knowing the exact setup, there won't be much we can suggest, but usually using something like XAMPP is easier as it sets things up for you.

Thank you for the reply, I will try your suggestion of using XAMPP, do you know if XAMPP is available for linux users? Currently using the webserver on a Raspberry Pi.
Instead of dropping your current Apache installation, first check the httpd.conf for a correct inclusion of the php module. Remove the hash/asterisk sign (deactivated line) if nessecary and ensure a correct path to the PHP module file.
Maybe this will resolve this issue.
If not, go for a new installation then.

It doesn't matter on what hardware a webserver is running as long as it is performance capable. A RaspPi is for sure Wink
Then it depends on the package for your UNIX distribution,
XAMPP means: Variable X = W or L
So WAMPP (Windows) or LAMPP (Linux)

Good luck!
[ETS]
(2021-08-18, 08:25 PM)cptmilk Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-08-18, 07:50 PM)Matt Wrote: [ -> ]It doesn't seem like Apache is set up properly to actually handle PHP files - our installation guide won't cover setting up the web server itself, you won't be able to run any PHP software currently. Without knowing the exact setup, there won't be much we can suggest, but usually using something like XAMPP is easier as it sets things up for you.

Thank you for the reply, I will try your suggestion of using XAMPP, do you know if XAMPP is available for linux users? Currently using the webserver on a Raspberry Pi.
If you use a raspberry and if it serves html pages, and it actually do, it means you have a webserver enable. Probably nginx or lighttpd, rather than apache.
You'll have to install php-fpm and adapt your conf to make it serve php.
If nginx is enabled, the default.conf file in sites-availables includes an example for php interpretation.
Thank you to everyone that decided to take the time out of their day to help me with my issue - (turns out it wasn't an issue with mybb at all!) and I apologise for that, I had no clue where else go to.

The package I installed for the apache2 php module was libapache2-mod-php, however it turns out that this one didn't work for me, I installed a different package version with 'sudo apt install libapache-mod-php7.2' then followed it with 'sudo a2enmod php7.2' to enable the module, with a restart of the apache2 service everything turned out to be working fine.

Again, thank you all for your help!