MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Stuck quote
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Using: 1.8.27

Hello, I thought I had this problem before but can't find it in my threads or via a search.

Sometimes when you go to make a post you get a quote that gets carried over, it only seams to happen when you use the "Quote" (multi quote) button. You quote two messages in thread#1 and reply, then when you go to another thread #2 to make a new post you see this:

[Image: dEfBe0J.png]

It will also sometimes put the quotes back in when you go back to thread #1

I thought I had fixed it once but can't remember the solution, anyone know ?

Thank you.
This behaviour is standard for multi-quotes.
When ticking a post for multi-quote, a browser cookie is set with the post ID(s) to quote - that cookie will keep alive as long as you unset the quotes.

Feel free to delete the cookie "multiquote" for your domain in browser settings to drop all quotes.

[ExiTuS]
(2021-09-02, 03:11 PM)[ExiTuS] Wrote: [ -> ]This behaviour is standard for multi-quotes.
When ticking a post for multi-quote, a browser cookie is set with the post ID(s) to quote - that cookie will keep alive as long as you unset the quotes.

Feel free to delete the cookie "multiquote" for your domain in browser settings to drop all quotes.

[ExiTuS]

Thank you for the reply [ExiTuS] but I can't tell every member to delete the multiquote cookie in their browser.

When you make a post with say two quotes they should be gone from your next post and not follow you to another thread, I'm sure I fixed the problem before if anyone else has another idea please let me know.

Thank you.
What you are trying to do is not an easy task, I won't bother with it myself. I recommend you to instead start using the quote feature as it is designed.

To achieve what you want, you would need to edit some files, some or all of these files are below :
./jscripts/thread.js
./xmlhttp.php
./newreply.php
./newthread.php

It might be possible to achieve what you seek with a plugin.

Additionally, the quote feature seems inconsistent to some degree.
Quote:[...]
When you make a post with say two quotes they should be gone from your next post [...]
That's true when you have actually inserted these quotes to your next post by clicking the link in the alert bar.
There is also an option to dismiss these quotes and get rid of the cookie.

Either clicking the link to insert or link to deselct will set the cookie off again.
What really happens when clicking these links?

BTW Do you use the standard MyBB theme or any customized one - or any other modifications in templates, files or JavaScript that may cause malfunction?

[ExiTuS]
(2021-09-02, 08:38 PM)Omar G. Wrote: [ -> ]What you are trying to do is not an easy task, I won't bother with it myself. I recommend you to instead start using the quote feature as it is designed.

To achieve what you want, you would need to edit some files, some or all of these files are below :
./jscripts/thread.js
./xmlhttp.php
./newreply.php
./newthread.php

It might be possible to achieve what you seek with a plugin.

Additionally, the quote feature seems inconsistent to some degree.

(2021-09-02, 08:40 PM)[ExiTuS] Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:[...]
When you make a post with say two quotes they should be gone from your next post [...]
That's true when you have actually inserted these quotes to your next post by clicking the link in the alert bar.
There is also an option to dismiss these quotes and get rid of the cookie.

Either clicking the link to insert or link to deselct will set the cookie off again.
What really happens when clicking these links?

BTW Do you use the standard MyBB theme or any customized one - or any other modifications in templates, files or JavaScript that may cause malfunction?

[ExiTuS]

Thank you both, but I think you are misunderstanding my problem, it's not something I want to achieve it's something that I want to stop that shouldn't be happening.

For example I have quoted you both in this post and when I click "Post Reply" it will show your quotes and my answer.

If I then go to a different thread to a post it will sometimes say "You have selected one post outside this thread" as in the screenshot. That should not be there as I have made my post with the quotes in the other thread.

It doesn't always happen and it's not just me, some of my members experience it to.

The quotes from thread #1 end up getting carried over to thread #2 but they shouldn't.

It's the MyBB theme with a few changes that I have made.

I'll see if I can get it to happen on a test forum.

Edit: It just happened here on MyBB forum. I went to this thread https://community.mybb.com/thread-233422.html clicked "New Reply" and this is what I see.

[Image: 464wYzw.png]

As you can see it has carried the quote over.
That is how it works, the quotes seem to disappear when you post your reply, not when they are appended to the message.
(2021-09-03, 07:18 PM)Omar G. Wrote: [ -> ]That is how it works, the quotes seem to disappear when you post your reply, not when they are appended to the message.

Nope sorry Omar I'm still not sure as it doesn't do it all the time, and I had managed to fix it before.

But thank you anyway, it was worth a try asking. I know you are all busy with 1.9 (something I won't be using) so I will live with it.
Please try to replicate it in a fresh install, maybe you can install older versions (for testing purposes only) if you think older version did not suffer of this issue.
(2021-09-03, 07:38 PM)Omar G. Wrote: [ -> ]Please try to replicate it in a fresh install, maybe you can install older versions (for testing purposes only) if you think older version did not suffer of this issue.

But it happened on this forum as I posted in the screenshot, I'm assuming MyBB is running the current version on this forum ?

There is no point in me trying a fresh install as I have shown the fault happens here too.  Confused

Thank you.
Pages: 1 2