MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Page not found during install
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Okay, folks, forgive an old man, but I *thought* I knew what I was doing (since I had installed Snitz a lifetime ago).

Using Filezilla I copies all the files in the Upload directory.  First I copied them to wwwroot as a sub called "MyBB".  Then I set permissions (more about this later) and then I tried "www.kelleytown.com/Mybb/install" (my website plus that subfolder plus install) and get "page not found".

Ooookay, so perhaps I needed to copy the files to another folder in my server, called kelleytown.com (where my old forum files resided).  So I made a sub there (this time called "Legacy" which is going to be the name of the forum) and did all the above and tried "www.kelleytown.com/Legacy/Install" with the same "file not found".

Can you folks just point me in the right direction as to what to try next?

(Speaking of permissions -- ALL the files being transferred are defaulting to permissions for all for everything.  So changing certain ones to "666" or "777" doesn't seem necessary.  But I don't know so need help with advice here).
It would depend on where the web root for your website is, we won't know what it's called as it varies based on hosting platform, but it's usually called public_html or www or httpdocs. If yours is called wwwroot then sounds like the right place but if it's showing a 404 it may not be. Can you screenshot where you've put the files?
I could screenshot but does this help? My old forum is located at:

www.kelleytown.com/forum/flretire/

and my directory structure is:
(root) /
(Sub folder) wwwroot
(Sub Folder of wwwroot) kelleytown.com
(Sub Folder of kelleytown.com) legacy (where I put the files)

I've also tried putting the files in a subfolder of wwwroot called MyBB with no luck either.

Does that help or do you want to see a Filezilla screenshot?

Oh, and I should mention the old forum has a file structure of a subfolder off of kelleytown.com called forum, and then a subfolder called flretire off of that.

Hang on, folks - this may be a server issue. I need to talk to my folks. More later...

(However, I *would* be curious about the file permissions thing. Is it okay they are all 777?)
Being 777 means any user on the server can write to them so not ideal. Not sure why that would be the default but would be something configured on the server if they have those permissions straight away.
But ANY user on the server would have to have permissions to get to my files, right? And they could always change the permissions then? I mean, I'M a user on one of my host's servers and I can't get to anyone else's files so I'm not sure how they would.

I guess I don't understand having a host, much. But if someone DOES hurt my files my host (which backs them up daily and keeps a month's worth) could restore them. So there's that. In any case, I think my issue is the changes my host made haven't propagated (they moved me to a new, "better" server when I wanted to start a new BB, and they did it a few hours ago and told me it would take 4-6 hours for that server to be seen by the public, although I can FTP to it now). I'll come back here in a few hours if I can't get things working still.
They would have permissions if the files are writeable. PHP can be configured to only have access to a certain folder, but if any site on the server is exploited, your files could be written to. It's not simply a case of restoring the files if you don't know they've been edited for 6 months, and in the ensuing time have been running other code. There's literally no reason to have all files set to 777 at all.