MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: The Web server is configured to not list the contents of this directory.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Okay, I thought I'd start a new thread since my previous problem was indeed that my host had not propagated changes to my new server.

when I try and go to [myhost]/Subfolder/Install where the subfolder is where I copied all the contents of the MyBBS Upload directory.

Now I get the message " The Web Server is configured to not list the contents of this directory"

All file permissions on ALL files are 777 (by default on my host).  So I have read/write/execute on them all.  I assume by going to the install directory it's supposed to execute by default some file?  I certainly can't browse that directory although I guess I could change the directory itself to enable browsing but do I really want to do that?

Any clues as to how to proceed?

Crap - this STILL may be an issue with my host. It says that the "Content Management" of IIS is "enabling" with a yellow warning exclaimation sign, meaning it may still be in progress. So perhaps I just need to wait a while longer ("But I want it NOW!").

Sorry, folks - I'll bother you tomorrow if this ever straightens out.
Does it work if you add /index.php to the end? So [myhost]/Subfolder/Install/index.php

If it does, then the server needs to be configured to use index.php as a directory index file, which is standard behaviour usually.
(2021-09-10, 11:19 AM)Matt Wrote: [ -> ]Does it work if you add /index.php to the end? So [myhost]/Subfolder/Install/index.php

If it does, then the server needs to be configured to use index.php as a directory index file, which is standard behaviour usually.

Even with IIS ? PHP is a module, if I remember well, and I'm not sure it alters the default directory index of IIS.
(2021-09-10, 12:31 PM)Crazycat Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-09-10, 11:19 AM)Matt Wrote: [ -> ]Does it work if you add /index.php to the end? So [myhost]/Subfolder/Install/index.php

Even with IIS ? PHP is a module, if I remember well, and I'm not sure it alters the default directory index of IIS.

I mean that it's typically standard behaviour for a server running PHP to treat index.php as a directory index. I don't know if IIS does by default but it should be a common thing to enable.
Also explains why the file permissions are all 777 if it's a Windows server, if I remember correctly Windows doesn't have the same concept of file permissions as Unix systems.
Okay, guys, you are correct - adding that index.php DOES work. But what the heck does that mean? How do I solve the problem (which I assume will continue to occur)?

And, yes, it's a Windows server (because Snitz needed that).
On most web servers, you can forbid the directory listing (that's often default) and you can define which files will be used as index, and these files will be read when you try to access to http(s)://your.domain/ (or any subdir without explicit file).
With most servers, index.php is in the index list, but not in IIS.

Have a look on https://tecadmin.net/set-default-document-in-iis/ to know how to add a default page (can be outdated, sorry, I don't use IIS)
So are you guys (sorry, I'm really dumb) saying *I* should be the one who can do this, or my web host? I'm on hold with them right now to ask, but if this is something I can do it might be better.

My control panel for my site is pretty limited, though.

Okay, I *think* I see something under "Mappings" in my control panel. It has "PHP" but it's not enabled. It sounds like it needs to be, right? (Oddly enough my host allows me easy installation of phpBB, which would seem to require that).

I haven't been able to activate it myself, but I'll ask my host to do so (as soon as someone answers my call :>)